Chapter 14: Lean

"Hello. My name is Nicolas, but you can call me Mr. Benedict. Welcome.... To the Benedict Society."

"The Mysterious Benedict Society!"

A group of kids walked into the room. 2 boys and 2 girls.

"Who are you?" Ethan shouted out.

"My name is Contraire." The short girl replied. "Constance Contraire. Who are you, exactly?"

"Your life." He shot back with a grin.

"Ooh, nice one." The other girl complimented. "But what is your name, really?"

"Anything and everything." Ethan said goofily.

"He's Ethan." B. Wells introduced. "I'm B. Wells, and that's Breeze and Billy."

"Huh, a lot of Bs." The boy with the green vest said.

"Everyone, allow me to introduce you to the members of the 'Mysterious' Benedict Society." Mr. Benedict started. "Reynie, Sticky, Kate and Constance."

"Wait a minute." Billy muttered. "I know you guys."

B. Wells gave the boy a confused look. "You do?"

"Yeah, you're friends with my other friend Oliver!" He exclaimed.

"We've only met a couple times." Reynie explained. "Small world, I guess."

"Yeah... Anyway, how are you mysterious?" Billy pointed out. "They sure do stand out."

"Doesn't matter, it's a cool name." Kate reasoned.

"We're here to stop threats concerning world domination and government interference." The woman in yellow explained. "Or at least that's what we've been doing so far."

"That's Number Two." Said Mr. Benedict. "She's my number two. And the man in the corner is Milligan."

"Wait, world domination?" B. Wells repeated. "From who?"

"We'll get to that. First-"

"No, I want an explanation now!"

"Ok, let's all just be calm about this." The man sighed. "Nathaniel Benedict is my twin brother. We were in the orphanage together... Until I got out."

"You? What about him?" Ethan asked curiously.

"He tried so hard to get out with me, but they only allowed one. And when they saw me, so shy and polite, they decided they wanted me to come live with them. I promised to come back and get him, but I couldn't get the nerve to ask to let him move in. Nathaniel hated me for not coming back for him, and as a result, he grew up bitter, changing his name to LD Curtain, creating the Learning Institute for Veritas and Enlightenment, or LIVE. It was a great place, somewhere for intelligent kids, but behind the scenes, he was really creating The Emergency."

"And that's where we come in." Kate added.

"We infiltrated the Institute." Reynie continued. "LD Curtain had used kids from the Institute to be Messengers, sending out subliminal messages through the radio and TV using a device called The Whisperer."

"I broke it." Constance said proudly.

"But wait, if you stopped it, why is it back? And what does Reinhart have to do with this?" Brandon questioned.

"Curtain escaped with his associate Dr. Garrison. For a while, they needed to lay low, and recently, we found them in Rochester, teaching at Churchville Chili Senior High School under the aliases Erik Reinhart and Allison Chipman."

Billy's jaw dropped. "Mrs. Chipman's behind this too?"

Nicolas nodded sadly. "This is where you come in."