Chapter 17: Stress

"Everything."

Aidan Gallagher was still trying to process everything he was hearing. "So you fought an alien from space? And that alien was a copy of Mr. LD Curtain, aka Erik Reinhart who now is in control of this whole school and will soon want to kill all of you guys?"

"Probably just me." Brandon replied nonchalantly.

"But he's dangerous to everyone here. Once he finds out we're working for his brother, he might wipe our memories." Evan reminded.

"If he finds out." Bradley added with a smirk.

"He's gonna find out." Joseph said seriously.

"How do you know? Think about it. Do we look like spy-kids who carry buckets around and make plans to overthrow the principal of a school?"

"We've literally been making the plan for a while now." Joseph pointed out.

"But do we stand out? We're all teenage guys, who have been involved with music of some sort over the years. Those other kids don't operate the same as us."

"Well, we really all have one thing in common." DeAngelo butted in. "We're all friends with Brandon. And he's the one with the Reinhart problem. We're all just helping him, right?"

"So that's how we blend in." Aidan interrupted. "We just act separate. If we all give each other specific jobs, we can do the plan together... but separate."

"Just like the 14th Amendment." Trey realized.

"No, that's separate but equal." DBro corrected.

"Whatever." Said B. Wells. "I'm not the only one in trouble here. We have to stop The Emergency, that's our mission. Never mind me. But I agree with Aidan. Besides our roommates, we need to split up so we don't attract attention."

"And don't act suspicious around Reinhart." Evan said sternly. "We're not gonna take the same approach as the other kids. We have abilities of our own that Reinhart doesn't have. And you know what? I'm actually glad we have Aidan on our team now, because teleporting is one thing none of us have! Welcome to the society, Aidan."

"Thank you, Evan. It's good to meet you guys."

"Yeah, likewise." Joseph agreed.

"Alright, now that we got that out of the way, how about we focus on the here and now? Figure it out as we go along, right?" B. Wells proposed.

"Yeah, we have a school assembly in a couple hours before lunch starts. Then we got some lectures tonight about the basics of the school and stuff."

Everyone looked over at Joseph. "What? I paid attention to the schedule."

"Guys, go back and organize your rooms. We'll meet up during lunch."

And so everyone left the room, minus B. Wells, DaVan and Aidan, who stayed behind, putting his arm around Brandon comfortingly just like he used to when they were younger.

"Hey, it's alright. I know this is gonna be hard for you, but you gotta overcome your fear. And you gotta overcome your hate too. At least until we beat the guy."

The rapper chuckled in his vulnerable state. "Yeah, I got you guys with me, so I think I'll be ok. As long as I don't have another panic attack in front of him."

Aidan frowned. "C'mon, don't worry about that. The more you think about it, the more it'll happen. Just breathe deeply and relax. You'll be ok."

B. Wells smiled. "Yeah, you're right... hey, who's your roommate?"

Aidan sighed. "Some guy named Paul. He's kind of annoying, to be honest."

Brandon paused, looking up at his friend. "What? Paul who?"