Chapter 16: Bad B!

"....Aidan?"

7 years ago

Brandon closed the trunk as his mom took the last item out of the car. "Ok, Brandon. Put this in the house. Dad will be here soon."

Brandon and his mother had just moved into North Chili after spending many years in Gates. The boy was 10 now, and he was obviously sad about moving because he'd had to leave his friends behind. But this was a fresh start and Margaret wanted him to feel at home so Brandon tried to act like he was happy to please his mom.

He put a small box on the floor near his room and looked out the window. It was a nice summer day, so Margaret would probably want him to go on a walk with her later.

His gaze gravitated towards the woman, who had started talking to the other woman across the street, most likely the neighbor. She saw Brandon in the window and waved to him, motioning for him to come out.

Brandon sighed and reluctantly trudged out.

"Hey, Brandon! This is our neighbor from the house across the street, Laura. She has a son too. See? It'll be just like you and Dylan."

"Don't say that!" Brandon snapped. "Dylan and I were best friends and now we're not because you made us move!"

"Brandon!" Margaret yelled back. "Be nice. Ok, maybe it won't be like you and Dylan. But you have to make friends. You don't wanna be alone in school this next year."

"Maybe I do!" He replied with his usual snotty attitude. The boy then ran back into the house angrily.

"Sorry about him." Margaret apologized. "He hasn't been the same since we moved."

"I understand. He feels like he doesn't have friends. Aidan's the same way. We've moved before too."

"Wow, it seems like we have a lot in common already." The woman noted.

"Yeah, hopefully Brandon comes around. I know Aidan would like a friend across the street from him."

Brandon sat in his room, crying on his mattress. They didn't have a full bed yet, so there was just boxes and a mattress at the moment.

He'd lost a lot of friends due to the move, and it really sucked for him because he didn't have a phone or any way to keep touch other than his parents. And he knew that they would never bother to do anything he wanted.

And as he wept, he saw something out of the corner of his eye. Or, someone.

A boy stood outside his door, looking about his age with black hair and tanned skin. "Why are you crying?"

There was a pause, before the boy explained himself. "Your mom let me in. She said you weren't in a good mood, but I wanted to meet you anyway." He said calmly.

Brandon sniffled, tears dripping from his eyes. "Why would you want to meet me? I'm nobody."

The boy chuckled. "You're definitely somebody. Otherwise you wouldn't exist."

He sat down next to Brandon. "I've moved before. More than once, actually. I know what it's like to be pulled away from your friends. It's hard. But sometimes you just gotta make new friends, y'know? That's the only way to be happy here."