Lover Is a Verb

He felt like a ghost. Their love felt like a phantom. Those hands in hers felt so lifeless. This wasn't right. She was supposed to fix it. Love was supposed to fix it. So then why did she feel like they were on the edge of a cliff?

Everything was so good. Love felt like heaven, better than either Sophie or Keefe ever imagined. It felt like the intertwining of souls came everytime they intertwined their hands.

But lately those hands felt so shaky, so full of fear. And that couldn't be right. Because love isn't afraid of anything.

She felt like they were on the edge of a cliff and she was so scared of jumping off of it. But what was before her, pushing her to the edge, was certain death. If she jumped off the precipice into the water, she might have a chance of surviving. Water always softened the fall and saved the day in the movies. But she knew that falling into water from all those feet up would hurt like hell. And then there was drowning; but honestly, she already felt like she couldn't breathe.

But she was backed into a corner and had no choice. Keefe's shaking hands gave her no choice.

So one day when Sophie was with her lover, hanging out in her room after school, she decided to make the jump.

"Keefe.."

The blue eyes that turned to her in response weren't her boyfriend's. They were so much more icy than she remembered.

"Yah?" he responded.

She parted her lips to speak the solution, but she couldn't find the right words. So she just stayed there and so did he. Starting at each other. The eyes are the window to the soul.

A tear rolled down her cheek in the silence. "Please, tell me what's wrong."

He retorted quickly. "Nothing's wrong. I'm fine."

'I'm fine'

Those two words together never made a truthful combination when it came to him. She sighed and the anger in the gesture caught Keefe's attention. She couldn't do this anymore. She was so sick of trying to solve the puzzles in his head and having to pick up the pieces of the messes he always made. She loved him, but sometimes she just wanted to scream at him.

"Keefe, I can't do this anymore. You have to trust me enough to talk to me. I won't beg for you."

He knew she was right. Her voice sounded desperate but also exhausted. But maybe he could still salvage this without taking the risk of confessing. He quickly moved closer to her and tried to kiss her.

"No!" She pushed him away. It felt like a slap to the face.

"Don't kiss me. You can't just make this go away. No more running or avoiding your problems, Keefe. You can't go around them. You have to get through them."

He took a shaky breath. "Sophie, I'm.......I'm scared.."

Her eyes widened, dancing with confusion.

"Of what?"

The question was so honest, so innocent. But there was something daring behind it. He almost laughed at it. There was a lot to be scared of. But this one...it wasn't a fear she could guess.

"I'm scared of it ending. Of us ending. What if we break up?"

Her lips parted again but no words came out. And in that silence, he found his voice.

"I'm really, really, really scared that I'm gonna mess things up. I'm scared I'll end up like my parents. And that I'm gonna lose the girl I spent years pining after, the girl that kept me afloat for so long. Because if that happens, I don't know what's gonna become of me."

KOTLC Oneshotsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें