1 Step Forward, 3 Steps Back

I finally found inspiration to write a oneshot thanks to Olivia Rodrigo's brilliant and enchanting debut album, Sour.

When Sophie woke up that day, something felt different. The sun was shining through her thin white curtains and highlighted the gentle smile on her face. Her heart felt light. She felt like she had motivational music playing in her mind or something. Something was very different today in a good way. She stood up and was surprised when she did it. Usually, it took everything in her to get out of bed in the morning. But today she felt like dancing

She twirled on her flower rug and laughed. She walked/danced to her closet and threw it open. She grabbed out something comfortable and cute: a short pink summer dress with gray leggings. She quickly changed into it, threw on white sandals and hurried down the stairs to get breakfast.

On the way downstairs she caught Edaline's turquoise eye which was filled with shock at the joyful aura that unmistakingly surrounded her daughter that morning. Sophie stopped midway to the first floor and locked her eyes with Edaline's.

"I feel alive."

Edaline's eyes grew and then she smiled like she truly understood what Sophie meant. Her eyes followed with a smile in them as she watched her daughter flounce down the stairs with an energy she didn't know Sophie had anymore.

After eating breakfast, Sophie pulled out her imparter and hailed Biana. The youngest Vacker answered immediately. She blinked in shock at the smile displayed on Sophie's face.

A few minutes later, Sophie, Biana, Linh and Marella were sipping lushberry juice and snacking on blitzen berry muffins in Atlantis. Sophie leaned back against her lounge chair in the outdoor dining area and let the wind weave through her blonde hair. The air smelled so fresh and alive. She felt fresh and alive. And she hadn't felt that way in a long time. It almost..felt too good to be true. A few minutes later the girls gathered their belongings and headed into a charming boutique to do some browsing. There were a few couples in the store and Sophie did her best to ignore them. She was not gonna let anything set back her progress.

But then, by pure bad luck, because the universe hated her, Sophie caught sight of a girl wearing a purple ring that was similar to the one Keefe had given her.

Sophie leaned back onto Marella as she stared at the ring like it was the grim reaper himself coming to decide her fate. Her knees felt weak, her breaths felt short.

Oh no, it was all coming back. The laughs, the smiles, Keefe tickling her and kissing her and promising it all. Promising he would love her forever and forever. That he had waited for her all his life. That every single day until the end he would be by her side. Tears streaked down Sophie's cheeks like Niagara falls.

"Sophie, are you ok?"

Sophie turned to see Linh's concerned face focused on her in slow motion like a movie.

"No, I'm not. I'm really, really not." she responded in her thoughts.

She could hardly hear Linh's next words like Sophie was underwater and everything was muffled. But her brain started working in time enough to hear "It's about Keefe isn't it?"

All Sophie could do was manage a half hearted nod as she turned from her friends and ran as fast as she could out of the shop, lifted her home crystal to the light, and wished with every fiber of her being she could just disappear from this cruel world.

When Sophie got home she ran immediately to her room.