Mallowmelt

AS USUAL, SPOILERS FOR ALL OF THE SERIES!!!!! This takes place after the London fight in Legacy where Lady Gisela gets away and Keefe is really distraught. In order for the story to flow, let's pretend like Fitz and Sophie aren't together.

Also, this is a songfic

*DING DONG*

Keefe threw open the door and saw a pretty blonde standing on the doorstep. She looked worried.

"Foster?"

"Hey Keefe." she greeted with a small smile. He wished she would smile like that all the time. All he wanted was for Sophie to be happy but him- the giant mistake of him- only made her worry. And pity him. And cry. "Look Foster, it's not really a good ti-"

He stopped mid-sentence when he spied the bag of mallow melt ingredients in her hands. "Uh, what exactly were you planning Ms.F?" He tried to raise an eyebrow and smirk but surely she could see through the lie.

Her smile turned into a frown and she did that *adorable* eyebrow crumple thing she always did when she was worried. "I just thought that, after what happened yesterday with your mom in London, you needed someone to talk to. And hang out with you."

"Foster, honestly-"

"KEEFE! Don't say your fine." She knew the broken boy that hid behind a mask of joking and laughter that Keefe really was.

She was stubborn. Stubborn like him. He sighed and extended his hand to her face. He felt the flutters in her heart as he smoothed the crinkle in her eyebrows. "Listen to me Ms. F. I. Am. Fine. And you have more important things to do than hang out with me. You don't really need to be here. You helped me at Havenfield when I slept under the panakes tree, remember?"

Sophie stepped forward, standing on her toes to heighten herself. "Well....." she said nervously. "Maybe I just like you!"

Keefe raised an eyebrow at that one. Really raised an eyebrow. He let out an exaggerated fake yawn and looked down on Sophie's determined face.

"Classic Foster. When are you gonna admit-"

"I meant, as a friend. Of course."

That hurt. But it wasn't like he should even be surprised at this point. After all, she liked Fitz.

"Well, I guess there's no stopping the Fos-Boss when she's got a plan, huh?" he teased as he reluctantly let her inside.

"Ugh. I told you, you guys aren't gonna call me that."

"In your dreams Foster. In your dreams."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A puff of white powder filled the air as Sophie set down the ingredients on the kitchen counter.

"*cough cough wheeze." They both had to fan the air to see clearly again. "You trying to kill me Foster?" accused Keefe. Sophie just rolled her eyes and began taking out the ingredients.

"Be serious Keefe. This looks like a hard recipe." she said as she squinted to read the instructions, courtesy of Edaline. Keefe snatched the worn paper from her and began skimming through it. "What do you mean? This is a piece of pie. I mean, how hard could it be, right?"

"I don't know Keefe," Sophie muttered anxiously. "Apparently, there's a lot of layers and stuff. We should just follow my mom's recipe." Keefe responded with a shrug.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (10 minutes later)

Sophie was meticulously reading the recipe ,while Keefe was throwing in random things to the batter and popping marshmallows into his mouth. "Hmm. So it says here one cup of sugar. Got that Keefe? Do it right, yah?" Sophie asked as she continued reading.