It's Time To Go

"Liv?"

Livvy shook.  She was standing up, leaning on a table, with a haunted look in her eyes.  A cobalt blue crystal in her hand.  At the sight of her husband Quinlin in the doorway, she quickly pushed the crystal under a pile of papers.

"Liv, are you alright? What's wrong?"

When she didn't answer he rushed to her.  "Please tell me what's wrong!"

Livvy's mind replayed the horrible memories she had seen in the Forbidden Cities.  Sick children with no more hair taped to machines.  A little girl with tubes through her nose and mouth, unable to cry out as she dropped her toy.   A boy sitting in a chair with wheels on it who couldn't move his legs.  He had tears in his eyes as he watched the other kids play in a yard - kicking a ball.

Her body was quivering wildly as she shut her eyes and willed her mind to forget.  She pushed the thing she shouldn't have seen into the back of her mind.

"I....there..there was just a really sad ending in the book I was reading."

Quinlin smiled softly before he embraced her, hugging her tightly.  She buried her crying eyes into his cape. She felt so lucky to have someone like Quinlin.  But she felt she didn't deserve him.  He whispered sweet reassurances into her ear, but she heard none of them.  This wasn't right.  She felt guilty that she was lying to him.  About why she was upset.  She couldn't admit that she had stolen his crystal and leaped to the Forbidden Cities.

But she pushed the guilt chipping away at her into the back of her mind, with the memories of the sick children and whispered, "I love you."

"I love you too, Liv."

The past is the past, she thought.

But their marriage was never the same after that.

The guilt chipped away at Livvy and it caused her to lash out.  Quinlin tried to save their relationship at first but after a while, he gave up.  He yelled, she screamed, and they argued uintil they had no energy to fight anymore.

It was the same routine day after day.  And slowly, their loving marriage became nothing but a headache; a chore.

Livvy layed her head on the table.  She had just gotten back from a long day at work and her husband was arguing with someone on his imparter.  Quinlin had never been the cuddly type but that fateful day had changed both of them.  He used to be so sweet to Livvy, but now he treated her like a stranger and he was even worse to everyone else.

She rubbed her temple.  This wasn't working.  It stopped working a long time ago.  Why were they still here?  There was nobody to keep their marriage together for.  No kids, not even themselves.  It was just destroying them slowly.  It was a slow and painful death.

"19 years of this garbage," Livvy mumbled.  19 years and 19 million tears.

"What?" snapped Quinlin.  Livvy's stomach did a double flip.  She hadn't realized she had said that out loud.

"Nothing, Quinlin."

He rolled his eyes.  "Whatever."

She focused her eyes on the frustrated man pacing the room.  His sapphire blue eyes shimmered.  She focused as hard as she could. She tried to look into his eyes for the slightest sign of love.  She tried so hard to remember why she fell in love with him.  She focused so hard she thought she might bust a brain vessel.  

It was no use.  This love is long gone and it is never coming back.

Tears welled up in her eyes.  Quinlin clicked off of the hail. His eyes turned to Livvy.  "Why were you home so late?" he asked.