Chapter 15

Work! It sucks.

But it’s the only way to put food on the table. My conscience tells me.

I sigh as I stare at my desk. There were so many contracts that needed signing, proposals that needed approval and I just received a message from Ian that I had about two pending meetings to attend.

I spin in my chair and stared at the night sky. I cracked my knuckles and sighed. I’ve been sighing a lot these days. I sound like a depressed person and I wouldn’t be surprised if I actually become depressed because I was stressed out.

To be honest, I feel really cheap. Loving someone with everything you have and them not reciprocating your feelings was really draining. And to make it worse, the tips on how to make him like me made me feel pathetic.

But it worked though. I could feel the slight attraction between us but I felt bad about it. I wanted to stop it. I was even planning to tell Adriana about it…

My phone suddenly starting to ring. I groaned as I saw the name on the screen. Mother.

This really isn’t the best time to call. I was already as stressed as can be. I can’t deal with her right now. I watched as the call ended but my mother was never one to give up.

As I expected, my phone began to ring again with the same name displayed across the screen.

I rolled my eyes and reluctantly picked the call.

“Good evening mother.”

“Natasha, have you been ignoring me?”

I fake gasped. “Of course not, mother! Why would I?”

She huffed and I could tell she didn’t believe me. “Why didn’t you pick up when I first called?”

“I was in the bathroom.” I lied easily.

“Then why didn’t you call back?”
I sighed again. This is going to be a long phone call.

“I just came out of the bathroom.”
She huffed again. “Right! I’ll let it slide for now. Have you thought about what we talked about last time?”

I groaned. Argh! Not again.

“Yes.”

“And?"

“And I’m not ready yet.”

She sighed. I could sense the big speech coming.

“Natasha!” There it is. “I know you want to focus on your work and I’m proud that you’re a career lady.”

There’ll be a twist soon.

“But…”  I smirked at my accurate prediction. “You’re a woman. You need to have a family. I know it may seem like I’m rushing you but I just want you to be happy.”

“No, you just want me to give birth.”

“And that too. I want to see my grandchildren before my death.”
She sighed. She’s getting to the sad part.

“Your father left us too soon. I knew it was his wish to see his grandchildren running around the house. He always wished to be called ‘grandfather’ but unfortunately, his wishes didn’t come true. I just want to be able to tell him how happy you are and how beautiful his grandchildren are when I join him. I know I’m going to meet him soon.”

I sighed. She’s always manipulating me, making me feel bad.

“Mum, you’re not going to die soon. And I promise I’ll settle down, not just now. I haven’t found the right person.”

She scoffed. “How will you find anyone when all you do is work?”

“I don’t always work, mum. I attended a ball the other day and I met so many gentlemen."

“And how many did you contact after that?”

I sighed. This conversation is already getting tiring.

When I didn’t say anything, she said. “I fixed you a date on Wednesday. I’ll send you the details.” And she hung up.

I knew I shouldn’t have answered that call.

You must be confused. Let me explain.
My parents gave birth to me 10 years after their marriage. Despite that, they married at a really old age, even though they’ve been in love since like forever. I am their only child, which explains why my mum is … well, like that.

She had always been quite protective of her only precious daughter but five years ago, after my father died, it became worse.

It shifted like from 36% to 88%. I know it might sound like I’m exaggerating but it’s just the truth.

She would randomly set me up on dates with people and I would feel to guilty to stand them up, so I’ll to go.

“You okay?” I snapped out of my thoughts to see Adriana in front of me with her bag in her hand. Is she ready to go home?”

I nodded. “Are you ready to go?”

“Yeah! You sure you’re okay? You have that look on your face when your mother sets you up on a date.”

I sighed. Was it that obvious?

“Oh My Gosh! She did, right?” she then started to laugh and I felt like knocking her head.

I grabbed some of the contracts and proposals on my table, shoved them into my bad, glared at Adriana and walked out.

***
It's getting to the good part.😊