Chapter 11

Ah! Fresh air.

I smile as the cool air touched my face. I forgot how nauseated this kind of environment used to make me feel.

“You okay?”

I turned around only to find Adrian staring at me with concern.
I nod. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

Thinking he’ll leave, I turned back, staring at the night sky. However, he came to stand next to me. I did not know what to say, so I just continued to stare at the night sky, admiring the stars.

“You look…” I stared at him, expecting him to finish his sentence.

Was he just about to complement me? Then why did he not complete his sentence? Or did he find it hard to say it?

He looked confused, as if he was trying to figure something out.

“Do you really find it that hard to say something nice to me?”

He looked shocked. Did I misunderstand the situation?

“Um… no! That’s not it. I’m just trying to find the perfect word that’ll describe how beautiful you look right now.”

Did I just imagine that? He really said that, didn’t he?

Yes! He did, you dimwit. Now reply. My conscience says.

I just realised that I have been stupidly staring at him with my mouth slightly opened. My cheeks were definitely red.

Do not blame me! I never imagined, not even in a million years that Adrian Brooke would complement me.

I tried to calm my racing heart because the air around us suddenly felt heavy.

“You know, that’s the part where you say thank you.”

I chuckled and just like that, the air became light again.

“Well, it’s not every day that I receive a complement from Adrian Brooke, and a sincere one for that matter.”
He laughed and I felt my insides clench. I smiled at him.

And the silence was back. However, it did not last long as one of the servers came to call Adrian to prepare for his speech.

He led me out, holding my hand. Like really holding my hand. My skin burned at the contact and I could not help but wonder if I was the only one feeling this way.

He soon excused himself, leaving my hand to prepare for his huge speech. I clenched my hand, suddenly missing the warmth his hands provided.
His hand was soft but firm. It was warm but not the sweaty disgusting kind.

“Hey! Did you have a quickie with my brother?” Adriana stumbled towards me.

“What? No. why would you say that?”
She shrugged. “You look flustered.”

“No, I don’t.” I denied while checking if my cheeks were hot. They were.

Suddenly, everyone’s eyes were drawn towards Adrian. He looked beyond dashing as he welcomed everyone and thanked them for making it.

I stopped listening after that and just kept admiring the perfect man I could not take my eyes off.

It honestly should be a crime to be that perfect. His dominating aura, his long legs, his deep silky voice, his pink kissable lips, his beautiful eyes, his warm hands, his well-defined body.

He had no flaws.

His speech took about twenty minutes but until he was done, there was no distraction. Everyone seemed to be captivated by his voice to the extent that they did not even make a single sound.

When he was done, I followed him with my eyes till I lost him in the crowd. It was then that I realised that Adriana was also nowhere to be found.

I was trying to look for them when I heard Ian call out my name.

“Natasha” I told him to call me that.

“I’m so sorry but I have to go. I just got an urgent call from home.”

“Um… yeah sure, you’re free to go.

Thanks for coming with me though.”
He smiled and I noticed a tiny dimple on his left cheek.

I kept looking for my best friend and her perfect brother. I even stared around trying to remember the face of her weird date.

After five minutes of searching through the crowd with a rumbling stomach, I decided to call her. She picked up on the third ring.

“Heeey girl!” she slurred.

“Adriana, where are you?”

She giggled. “Stop that, Tommy. I’m on a phone call.”

Who the heck is Tommy?

“Taaaasha baby, did you later hook up with my brother?”

“No. what are you saying? Are you drunk?”

“No, I’m not drunk. I’m on a path to greatness.” She giggled again.

“Where are you? Tell me so I can come pick you up.”

“Oh! I’m not going home with you today. I’m staying with…” Her words were interrupted by her moans.

“Ah! Tommy, wait. I’m talking with my friend… Ah (moan) Natasha (moan).”

I hung up. My face was flushed as I started to imagine all sorts of things she could have been doing with Tommy.

“Aren’t you going home?”

I got startled and dropped my phone as I heard the voice behind me. I blushed hard as my nasty imaginations were interrupted.

“Are you okay? You seem to be burning up.” My face reddened. Only if he knew.

He placed his hands on my forehead, trying to feel my temperature but my body took it as something else.

My insides clenched again and I had to close my eyes to calm myself down.