36 | Our Souls, They Play

Double update!

"Why are you helping me?"

Joy never had any friends in her life. Who would want to become friends with a homeless, street garbage? That's what they called her. Street garbage. She couldn't stand in front of a restaurant, they would chase her away. Her care taker in the shelter? They tried to sell her away. Long story short, everyone hated her.

So when a random kid came to her with his burger, she frowned. Nobody had been kind to her. Ever. Then why was this random guy helping her? Seeing his clothes, he was in a dire need of food himself. His bones were visible through the skeleton his body had become.

"You're hungry. That's why." He pouted, and pushed the half eaten sandwich in her way. "Take it."

"I can't-" She started, and her eyes widened when he pushed the sandwich straight into her opened mouth. "Bht-" Her frown deepened as she chewed the sandwich, and stood up to scold him when the boy stepped away from her.

"I need to leave." He looked troubled, his eyes moving around as he took another step back.

"But," Joy swallowed the food, and looked up at him but he had already walked away, almost running. Just then the cloud opened and it started raining. "Hey, wait! Let me get something for you too-" She started running after him.

One of the cars rushed into the boy and his body went flying on the other side of the road. Joy stood there, hair wet, shivering and numb as she saw people gathering around the scene. Blood pooled around her saviour's head. She knew she had lost him. Oh God.

A man came to stand beside her, his umbrella covering her from the harsh weather. His eyes were hazel green she noticed when she looked up at him.

"Kid, are you fine?"

Joy looked up, and straightened her back. Officer Park stared down at her. Life wasn't treating him well she observed with the amount of white hair he had on his head. His wrinkles were more visible now, but his eyes... They were still of the man's who had fed her. Who had given her the life she was living right now.

"Father." She bowed to him formally. Taehyung beside her only nodded, his hand on the small of her back. "I'm so glad you could make it."

"He doesn't have many troubles to solve nowadays, thanks to me." Capo Mujabihan gave her a look, but instead of backing down, she met his gaze head on. "I'm sorry if it offended madam, but your little video almost threw him behind the bars."

"I'm glad he could jump back into the ship." Joy smiled, and looked up to Taehyung. "My husband. Greet him, gentlemen."

Capo Mujabihan clenched his jaw, but nodded nonetheless. However, Officer Park had to take Taehyung's hand and place his head over the palm in a greeting. "Capo." His voice was detached. It was a game of egos after all.

Consigliere joined them, and Hera's face paled. She had forgotten about the formal way of greeting the son-in-law in matters of Familia. Baekhyun looked smug though as if he had been waiting for this moment forever. "Father." She bowed, and searched for Yeonjun. He was standing against the wall, not bothering to witness the scene.

"Son in law." Mr Ji took a deep breath and relaxed his shoulders before grabbing Baekhyun's hand tightly and bowing his head to place it on the palm. "Good evening."

Baekhyun looked amused by the gesture and almost  almost made an inappropriate comment, but then he saw Hera, and how she was begging him with her eyes to not create a scene. "Buzzkiller," he muttered under his breath and sealed his lips.