9 | I'm Preying On You

Fair warning: Mature content ahead. This story is not up for moral police.

Since Joy was a kid, she had an ability to sense when something was wrong around her. For example when she was adopted by Officer Park and met Capo Mujabihan for the first time, she knew somehow that he was a devil in disguise. Her theory was confirmed when he came out as a member of the Cosa Nostra. It was just something she was blessed with.

The same feeling returned that evening. Something had gone terribly wrong. The door to her room opened and Moonbyul stepped in. The expression on the woman's face had her anxiety spiked up. "Lock the door," Moonbyul gritted out.

"What is it?" Joy barely whispered. If the wife of the boss was asking her to hide herself then it was a clear red alert. "What happened?"

Moonbyul looked away. "South side mob, Outfit attacked us." She paused, then sighed. "Your family was involved. The men were cut off into pieces. Some of them are barely recognisable. Taehyung and Baekhyun spent the whole day gathering their men's remaining body parts to hold a proper funeral."

The bile came up her throat and she curled her fingers around the mattress. "Where are they?" Joy wished she could hid her terror better, but the fear was clear as day in her voice.

"Arriving any minute now." Moonbyul shook her head. "Even I'm keeping my door closed tonight. Being a wife or a fiance doesn't help in these situations," she was referring to Kyungsoo. "Darkness swallow everything, Joy. You must keep the door closed tonight. Don't let Taehyung in."

"Hera." Joy jumped on her feet. "My friend-"

"She won't listen to me. Whatever happens, I'm not responsible. I gave her a fare warning. Let's hope she acts accordingly." Then the woman walked out of the door hurriedly.

The distant sound of the cars outside the house sent chills down her spine. They were here. She rushed to the door and locked it. Her eyes fell on the table and she opened the drawer to see if there was anything sharp inside. Nothing. The house seemed silent all of the sudden. Every breath she took felt like a lot, but Taehyung didn't come. Not for a long time. Was she fearing him for no reason?

Joy relaxed a bit. Then it happened. Three knocks on the door came. One after another. It was Taehyung. She didn't know how she knew it, but it was Capo. She could feel it in her bones. He didn't try to open the door as if he knew she had locked it. He never tried to do anything bad. Well, he did, but... Joy was conflicted. Should she open the door or not? God...

Taking a few steps, she reached the threshold. Maybe it wasn't Taehyung? "Open up." His calm voice came from the other side, and Joy sensed that aura around him. Death. He dealt with death today. He would kill her for sure.

It's okay. It'll be a quick goodbye to the world. Slowly, she turned the knob and pulled down the barrier between them. Her heart stilled. She knew now what Moonbyul meant by not opening the door. Taehyung was covered in blood. His neck, his white shirt soaked, even his black blazor was glistening in the light.

If Joy thought he was an emotionless deadly man before, she didn't want to even give his presence a term now.

"I guess my sister in law didn't warn you enough." He tilted his head. "You don't open the door to monsters, princess. You run." Then he smiled. A full blown smile that made her step back. "It's on you."

"No!" Joy started closing the door on his face but he pushed it back, opening it effortlessly. Her steps stumbled. "You should..." She stuttered. "You should leave. It must've been a long day."

"It was." Taehyung pushed a hand into his pocket and for a brief period she thought that he was going to pull out a gun to shoot her. It was a ring though. A diamond ring. "Let's make things official," he said as he grabbed her hand and slipped the diamond into her ring finger.