lexi's play: intermission

"Good as new." Lexi said, securing the purple bow in Vera's hair. "I'm sorry I made you go through with this."

"You didn't make me do anything, Lex." Vera assured her, "I needed to do this for myself."

Lexi's play came back after a brief intermission so she and Vera could collect themselves. Bobbi and Lexi replaced Veronica's ripped black dress and stockings with a black turtleneck dress, matching tights, and a gold leather jacket. She looked like Nate's dream girl again but for the first time in forever she actually recognized herself in the mirror.

A knock on the door disturbed her peace. Once she saw who it was, Lexi excused herself.

In the midst of all the chaos with Cassie and Maddy, Elliot had run backstage once he'd seen the bruises. I made eye contact with him and he mouthed, "I got it" assuring me he cared about her just as much as I did. He may be a snake but he truly cares about Veronica in a way Nate never could.

"Veronica."

"Elliot. I-"

"I'm going to fucking kill him!" Elliot yelled. Veronica flinched at the yelling. "Sorry." Elliot hugged her until Bobbi cleared her throat behind them. "I said five minutes, nigga."

Before he left, Elliot tucked a joint behind Vera's ear and kissed her on the cheek. "Is this a parting gift or a ploy to win my forgiveness?"

The days when Nate and Cassie went out were a small victory. She was usually left with Nate's mom Marsha. The woman would pour her a glass of wine, forgetting she was a recovering addict until Vera reminded her. Marsha would talk to her, ask her what she wanted to do with her life. "Don't marry my son."

"Excuse me?"

"Don't marry my son straight out of high school." Marsha clarified, "You two go to school, get a degree and a job. Get your separate lives together before you tie the knot. If only I did that with Cal."

"Mrs. Jacobs-"

"Honey, call me Marsha."

"Marsha, do you think Nate loves me?"

"Honey," Marsha took a sip of his wine glass. "I remember one day in eighth grade, he ran inside to get me and his dad saying this girl had a panic attack. He carried you into our house on his birthday, insisting we cancel the party so he could take care of you."

"I remember." Veronica nodded, "I was just nervous being around a lot of people and he brought me a piece of cake when I woke up."

Marsha chuckled, "the light I saw that day has gone out. I know Nate can be aggressive. I hear what goes on in that room." There was a pregnant pause, "And you look so pretty."

"Can I show you something, Marsha?" Veronica rolled up her sleeve, "I was on the phone with Rue and he came in and he just grabbed me. I didn't know why he was so mad. He just kept throwing things at me and my arm got cut on some glass-"

Marsha opened her mouth to say something but Nate and Cassie walked in giggling. Vera closed her mouth, desperately trying to tug her sleeve down before he noticed. But it was too late. "What the hell are you doing, Mom?" Nate yelled, "You hurt her?"

"I didn't touch her."

"You did this to yourself?" Nate screamed, grabbing Vera's arm. She shook her head violently, "You did this to me! You don't remember last night?"

Nate let go of her arm abruptly. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..."

"I don't wanna hear it, Nate. Wanna come to my room and watch a movie, Cass?"

"Sure." The blonde smiled. "Us girls need some time to ourselves. You understand, right Nate?"

Because it was Cassie, he backed down. He'd deal with Veronica later. She got lucky this time.

Jake: Leave her alone, Jade.

Jade: What are you going to do if I don't?

Jake: She knows what's good for her. You're a fucking distraction.

Jade: She's like my sister, Jake. I know her better than you do.

Jake: That may be true but this year she's mine. She's already dressing like Haley.

Lexi: Haley was the richest girl in East Highland, an only child. Her parents are loaded, dad sells engagement rings. She is a mythic bitch. Jake knew Violet worshiped her. so, he got her in with her.

Lights up in an all red room with a glass coffee table in the center.

Haley: Violet, you remind me of myself.

Veronica: Really?

Haley: And if you really wanna be like me, ditch the drug addict and the bookworm. They're irrelevant. You're a star. You gotta surround yourself with people with potential.

Violet: Jake says that-

Haley: Jake is so fucking annoying. But he likes you. just be careful around him. You've known him for like two seconds. He's a psycho.

Violet: That's mean.

Haley: He's a fuckin-

Jake (knocks): Hales...

Haley: We're in here. Isn't she beautiful?

Jake: The prettiest.

Haley: By the way, I took care of the little bruise on her neck. Next time pick a less visible spot.

Jake: Shut up, Haley.

Veronica: Don't tell her to shut up!

Jake: Whatever. Let's get you home, beautiful.

Veronica: Five more minutes.

Jake tightens his grip on her arm.

Jake: We're fucking leaving now.

Haley: How fucking very. Thank god my parents won't let me date yet.

Lights go out and a spotlight shines on Lexi sitting at Haley's vanity.

Lexi [narrating]: Haley wasn't really my friend.