2.7.4 holding out for a hero [rumour has it]

season 2, episode 7 - part 4

Holding Out For A Hero

When Lexi first spoke to Veronica about the play, they'd discussed what Vera was comfortable sharing

When Lexi first spoke to Veronica about the play, they'd discussed what Vera was comfortable sharing. The first thing Vera said was the bruises. She wanted people to know that she did have bruises and exactly what they were from. The real breakthrough was Veronica telling Lexi and Bobbi about the worst thing Nate ever did to her.

"Fuck white people." Bobbi immediately realized Lexi was in the room, "No offense, Lexi."

"None taken."

"As Karens always say." Veronica said, "You're one of the good ones."

Her confession inspired a musical number, arguably the most emotional part of the play set to the iconic Rumour Has It/Someone Like You Glee mashup. Veronica had moved the entire cast to tears during rehearsals with this particular piece.

Veronica: Dear Diary, I'm not sure my body is my own. I mean I'm alive and well but every move I make is calculated by Jake like some inanimate Barbie doll. And it's not enough for me. I want- no. I need something that's mine, something that I can call my own.

[rumor has it/someone like you playing]

Veronica: She, she ain't real

She ain't gon' be able to love you like I will

She is a stranger

You and I have history

Or don't you remember?

Sure, she's got it all

But baby is that really what you want?

Lights up on stage left and right. Hallie and Marta are also thinking about how the same guy has hurt them. While they lament their struggles, Veronica is trying desperately to open a pill bottle.

Hallie: Bless your soul

You've got your head in the clouds

She made a fool out of you