Chapter 20: Chorus

~~~~

I thought that this was only going to be like 15 chapters, but here we are, at twenty chapters, and the climax hasn't even happened yet.

I will give everyone a heads up, this chapter is a royal fucking mess.

Cw: blood, death, violence, pain, mild swearing

~~~~

Grian's pov

"Run!" shouted Mumbo. Grian half ran, half flew away. He took a quick look behind him and saw a cloud of smoke. He went faster.

Into the chorus plants he went. Deeper and deeper and deeper, until he was completely out of breath.

Grian turned around.

"Oh thank Notch. They didn't follow us in here," he said to himself, "Wait, where are the others?" he glanced around.

"Mumbo? Scar? X? Where are you?" the builder started moving around in what he assumed was the way to the other side of the island.

"False? Pearl? Tango? Come on, where are you? If you're here, please come out. This isn't funny..."

Scar's pov

As soon as he heard Mumbo warn them, he had blindly sprinted off into the chorus. Yes, Scar had escaped. But now, he was pretty sure he was lost. He already had an awful sense of direction. Throw in endless chorus plants and he was screwed. 

He wandered around, calling the other's names. After what might have been a few seconds, a few hours, or even a few years, the elf heard a sound behind him.

Behind him was a creeper on the edge of a village.

It flashed white before exploding and killing him on the spot. 

He respawned and went back over to where he was before. Grian, Scott, and a few others were there. He looked down at his life-bar on his forearm. Great. I'm the first yellow name.

Xisuma's pov

As soon as Xisuma ran into the forest, he knew something was wrong. Everything just felt off. There was a mist over everything. He could only see a few feet ahead of him. The only sounds he could hear were his footsteps and his heart racing. 

But he couldn't quite put his finger on what exactly the problem was. That is, until he saw his brother and those people attacking their house. Oh crud, this is a corrupt chorus forest!

He closed his eyes and forced himself back into reality. Xisuma pulled some cloth out and made a jarryriged mask to keep from inhaling the fumes that caused the hallucinations.

I should try and find the others.

False's pov

False trudged through the mist. All around her were tall, thin, purple stalks. False passed a boulder that looked familiar. 

Am I going in circles? She pulled out her sword and carved a line on the boulder. "Only one way to check," the blond muttered to herself." She continued on in a straight line.

Five minutes later, she arrived at the same boulder. "I'm pretty sure I didn't take any turns, or if I did, I definitely wasn't so off that I got back here in five minutes."

She sat down and tried checking her coords on her communicator. The screen flickered for a second before giving static and then turning off completely. 

"What the heck? Something's definitely not right."

Mumbo's pov

Mumbo had been walking for who knows how long. Years, days, seconds, he had no clue. All he knew was that he was tired and lost and his arm hurt like hell.