Chapter 16: Good Chapter Names Go Brrr

~~~~

Kinda close to midnight Meep here. Sorry if this is trash writing. I'm angry and tired.

I have now slept and edited this, so hopefully it is not absolute rubbish.

I think it would have been poetic to have there be 16 chapters. That's how many there are in a stack of say signs or ender pearls or something completely unrelated to Grian; eggs. Alas, my brain and plot dictates that there are going to be more chapters.

Cw: suicidal thoughts. There will be a hyphen at the start and end of the section.

~~~~

Xisuma's pov

About an hour or two into the long trek of walking tens of thousands of blocks, the familiar sound of an admin-alert reached his ears. He pulled up the screen and checked it 

Xisumavoid has been set to permadeath

FalseSymmetry has been set to permadeath

Grian has been set to permadeath

Mumbo had been set to permadeath

TangoTek has been set to permadeath

PearlescentMoon has been set to permadeath

GoodtimewithScar has been set to permadeath

"We're all on permadeath now. The Entity knows we're here. I should be able to fix it once we get back to the server, but for now, don't die," Xisuma announced.

Several people looked at Scar.

"Hey, I placed second in third life. I can do hardcore," Scar said in self defense.

"That's only because you had me to keep you from doing anything too stupid on your own," Grian replied, crossing his arms playfully.

"That's true. You would have been dead super quickly if it weren't for Grian's creeper 'prank,' " Tango added. The three smiles and laughed a little.

"What are we going to do once we run out of durability on our pickaxes to get blocks?" False asked, putting the group back on topic.

"I don't know. Maybe grind ender pearls?" Mumbo responded. Everyone had run out of blocks after a few thousand and their picks were running low. They hadn't been expecting to be bridging for so long.

False and Tango were elected to kill enderman while Pearl made soup and the others set up camp.

Grian's pov

The camp wasn't much. It was more haphazardly placed sleeping bags with some water than an actual camp site. Grian wasn't proud of the sloppy, wet walls of wall and sticks that surrounded the sleeping area. At least it will keep us safe.

False and Tango came back about an hour and a half later with 15 stacks of ender pearls each. They both chugged some soup and crashed. The others all lay down and seemed to fall asleep quickly. 

Grian wasn't so lucky. He couldn't get comfortable. The prankster stared up at the starry, black sky. 

What if we get to the Entity and it gets back into my head? What if it uses me to kill my friends? What if I let them down? 

He rolled onto his side. Knowing me, I probably will.

"Can't sleep?" Scar whispered, interrupting his thoughts.

"Nope."

"Same. What's keeping you awake?"

"I'm worried about fighting the Entity. What if it gets into my head and I can't stop it?"

"We won't let that happen. We didn't let you down the first time and we won't do it this time," Scar promised.

"Not to be rude, but you almost did last time. It was terrifying."

"It will be fine."

"But what if it's not?" Grian responded, starting to get a little angry.

"I know it's bad, but you need to sleep. Sleep will help."

"You don't know how bad it is to have a ghost in your head who can control you without you even knowing. You don't know how hard it is to watch yourself turn to stone. To have to keep it from your best friends. To feel like your soul is crumbling away while you're trapped in your own mind, losing to sentient smoke! It's not fine!" Grian shouted as he stormed off.

-

Wow. Aren't I a great friend? Grian mentally kicked himself. What's wrong with me?

He went and sat on the edge. Silent tears trickled down his face. The builder stared into the void. 

It would be so easy to just jump in. Then I would know that the Entity couldn't get to me. Couldn't make me hurt my friends. I can't hurt my friends. Who am I kidding, I don't even need the Entity to make me do it. I'll just end up doing it on my own anyway. Lashing out at Scar proved that. 

Maybe it would be for the better. The Entity couldn't get to the server without him. He was the reason this mess started. Maybe he could just...

-

His thoughts were cut off when he heard Scar behind him.

Scar's pov

Scar laid there for a bit before deciding to go check on Grian. He took his wheelchair out and wheeled over to the edge of the island. He sat next to Grian.

Grian was sitting in a little ball. He was crying silently.

"I'm sorry. You're right. I don't know what you went through," Scar stated in a quiet voice.

"No, I'm the one who should be sorry, not you. I completely overreacted. I'm sorry for that. You were only trying to help. I ignored your side. It must not have been easy for you, especially when you had to keep me in a coma," Grian apologized. He dangled his feet over the edge and leaned into Scar.

The two were silent for a little bit before Scar spoke up, "Thank you for that. And also, know that I still have your back. All six of us do. That's why we came. We won't let you down." 

Grian's pov

They headed back over to where the rest of the group was sleeping.

"Thanks, Scar. I really needed that. You're a good friend."

"That's what friends are for."

Grian fell asleep quickly. His worries were laid to rest.

~~~~

Oh my chocolate I actually wrote a filler.

Did you like the angst and is it good? This is my first fanfic so I would like to know.

I associate the bit in the hyphens with the harp part that's at the start of Burn in Hamilton. I guess it's because it's dark and filled with emotional pain. It was playing through my head when I wrote that bit.

     -Meep

~~~~