Chapter 17: Shadowmen

~~~~

I thought that being on a vacation would make me write less. It turns out when I can't sleep because of time zones and weird mattresses, I do a lot of writing.

Cw: blood, violence, pain

~~~~

Mumbo's pov

Mumbo woke up to find everyone else except Scar and Grian already awake. He got out of bed, rolled up his sleeping bag, and walked outside to where the others were. Xisuma was giving people bonemeal to grow carrots.

Mumbo took a few good handfuls of the powder and began growing carrots on a block of dirt until he had enough for the day.

About 30 minutes after Mumbo woke up, Grian and Scar came out of their shelter. Scar still looked two thirds asleep.

"You two are up late. Did you not sleep well last night?" Xisuma asked.

Scar and Grian exchanged a glance. "We both didn't get to sleep until pretty late," Grian yawned. They both ate breakfast. Scar did his daily spells so that he could walk. Everyone began packing up.

"What was the not sleeping thing about? I'm assuming there's more to the story," Mumbo said. He was helping take down the shelter walls.

"Oh, um, nothing really. Scar and I just talked a little after you all were asleep," Grian answered. He quickly glanced over at the edge of the island.

"What about?"

"Uh, nothing important," Grian said quickly. Mumbo decided not to pry anymore.

Everyone helped pack up, and after an hour or so, they were ready to head out. Tango and False distributed the ender pearls they had gathered.

The seven continued their journey.

By the middle of the second day, they had gotten about half the way to the Entity. The group stopped for a break.

They were all sitting on the hard end stone ground, except for Pearl and Grian, who were laying on the ground starfish style.

Suddenly, an enderman attacked them.

False sprung up and drew her sword. It went right through the enderman. "What the heck? I just stabbed it! It should be dead! Why isn't my sword working?"

Xisuma got up too and swong his axe. Just like False's sword, it went straight through. Grian was looking at it with an expression of confusion and concern. The ender man kept hitting X and False. 

They must be on low health. What can I do, what can I do?

Thinking fast, Mumbo placed down the water bucket. The enderman quickly died.

"What the Notch was that?" Xisuma asked. He and False both ate to heal up. "It almost killed me!"

Grian sat up and answered, "That was no normal enderman. Its eyes were cyan. It looked like it was made of smoke."

"It must have been an enderman being controlled by the Entity," Mumbo said.

"Well, at least it didn't teleport away from the water, so we can use that," Tango said. After that, everyone kept a water bucket within a moment's reach at all times.

Xisuma's pov

The group gathered a few more ender pearls and headed off.

More possessed enderman kept attacking them. The attacks were getting more and more common the closer the seven got to the Entity, and the shadowmen, as Pearl had started calling them, were getting more and more powerful.