54. A Guardian

Oliver could feel the solemn atmosphere the moment he mentioned his uncle. Most had turned to avoid his eyes, and his father's hands were clenched so tightly that they had turned white. He turned his gaze towards Draco, knowing he would receive the truth from him.

"He's alive, right?" Oliver asked hesitantly.

Draco nodded stiffly, but it did not soothe his concern.

"You just woke up. How about you go back and rest? We can discuss this later." Sophia interjected, hoping to free Draco from the informing Oliver of the truth.

"I have rested plenty." He answered, his eyes never leaving Draco.

"Oli..." Quincey called out quietly from behind him. "Think of your body."

Oliver finally removed his gaze from Draco and turned sternly to Quincey. "Am I that fragile to you?"

Quincey felt his spine stiffen, but he smirked. "You know I never shied away from my opinions, General. I'm just suggesting you take a breather before you tackle another problem."

Oliver raised an eyebrow in response.

Quincey sighed and threw his hands up in the air helplessly. "But I know you're a stubborn old ghost who won't listen to me. Just don't overdo it, General."

Oliver nodded. "We have much to discuss after I deal with this."

"I am not looking forward to it," Quincey said with a laugh.

Oliver looked around the room. Everyone's attention was still on him. "We will reconvene at a later time," he announced. "You are all dismissed."

There was a loud clammer as the council rose from their seats and shuffled out of the room. They cast wary and concerned looks toward Oliver and Draco. Soon, they all left, leaving Oliver, Draco, Quincey, and the Kardoses.

"Give me a moment with Draco," he asked his family. "We will join you shortly."

The others nodded and left with complicated feelings. Sophia looked back at him before they closed the door.

"Why does no one want to tell me about my uncle?"

Draco placed his hands lightly on Oliver's hips. "You have just woken up, yet you have arrested your brother and led a war council. Isn't that enough for one day?"

He stepped away from Draco. His back was straight, and his eyes were resolute. He was the Ghost once again, mighty and unbending.

"Draco, a soldier is missing. He is a powerful asset in any battle. As your General, I must be informed of his current situation to plan and lead this war accordingly. This is not a request."

Draco flinched, and his eyes were filled with sorrow. It wasn't a question or a request, as Oliver said. This was an order. 

When Draco remained silent, Oliver groaned out of frustration. "We no longer have the luxury of coddling."

Draco finally snapped from his stupor, and his melancholy turned to anger. "Coddle? You think I am the one who is coddling?"

He reached out and grabbed Oliver's chin, forcing him to look at him. "You woke up and didn't seek me out. Instead, you search to confront your brother alone. Any words you have shared with me were hollow. Just placating jargon to avoid burdening me."

"You already said it when arguing with Conrad. I need to lead these kingdoms. I need to bear the responsibility. And I will, Draco. But to do so, I need to be the General I once was." Oliver argued, pulling out of Draco's grasp.