13. A Ghost Wrapped in Mystery

While Oliver was lying in bed with Gallio focusing on his wound, Imran pulled Antony aside. "Brother, I know you said that your nephew behaved frivolously, but I believe you are wrong."

Normally Antony would have protested because he had closely watched Oliver grow up and became exceedingly disappointed by what he saw. However, in just a few moments, his opinion had been shaken.

Oliver had stood up to the Royal Guards, then used his own body as a shield to protect his brother. Not only was the action selfless, but Oliver moved with the precision and grace of a veteran warrior. Although injured, he stood on his own two feet and continued a conversation with no word of complaint. This was not the behavior of the child Antony thought he knew.

"He seems... different," Antony murmured.

Imran shook his head. "He hid from everyone to the point that not even you could see."

"I don't understand why."

With a deep sigh and a reluctant look and squeezed Antony's shoulder. "The person who set him up was the royal family. He wasn't surprised about the revelation and even found a way to guard himself against their attack... I suspect he has been waging his own secret war with his fiancé for years now."

Antony shook. "By himself?"

"Fewer people to implicate, I suppose. He only asked for my help because he had no other recourse. Otherwise, he would have found his way out of this mess."

"Was he really at The Apex?" Antony asked.

"Only to confirm who set him up," Imran explained. "He saw this coming."

"How did I not see?" Antony said. "How could he be shouldering this alone for so long? And why expose himself now?"

"Those are questions you have to ask him. But, if you want my opinion, start mentoring him to be your successor. There is no one else worthy."

Antony gave Imran a curious glance. "That's high praise coming from you."

"If you don't take him under your wing, I will steal him from Bierze and make him my successor. To think... someone so young could make me struggle in a chess match."

Antony almost fell but recalled that Imran said their chess game went on all night. Who could dare contend with Imran, the master strategist? Could his nephew be this powerful? Had he always been blind?

Imran chuckled. "Not to mention, his sword skills are extraordinary. I look forward to our next spar."

The words we too shocking. Hadn't Oliver only started learning a month ago? Did he hide this as well?

"It sounds like you're talking about a completely different person. Has my nephew been possessed?" Antony said softly.

Imran laughed. "If I were in Oliver's shoes, I would prepare for a fallout with the Belelots. I do not think this engagement will last much longer, especially with your prince's coming-of-age ceremony approaching."

"For once, I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do or how to support him."

Rebirth was too outrageous for the old General to fathom, so he clutched onto the misconception that Oliver had hidden his true personality and motives. The Belelots were always wary of the Kardoses, and Oliver's position as royal fiancé placed a large target on his back. In this situation, being known as an idiot rather than a genius could guarantee his survival.

He wanted to talk to Oliver more and show that he had a comrade in his lonely fight. But for now, all conversations were delayed while Oliver was being treated.