24. A Rescue

The Oliver's dismay, James insisted that he wear the sling for at least a month. Oliver knew he would heal faster than a month, but the young medic was too hot-headed, and Oliver acquiesced.  Oliver noted internally never to anger the young man again.

His training was limited to secret sessions at night and watching the soldiers during the day.  However, he found himself staying the study with Timothy more often than not. 

Timothy was hesitant to have Oliver help with any of the paperwork, but after a week, he gave Oliver some tasks.  By the month's end, Oliver could take over most of the estate's management with ease and confidence.

When observing the soldiers, he took the time to give them pointers and perfect their form. His attitude won the soldiers over quickly because they could recognize and respect another warrior. Because they did not live in the capital, they were not entirely tainted by the scurrilous rumors of the aristocrats, and they determined someone's worth based on their actions. They soon sought after Oliver and soaked up every word he said.

One month turned to six months, and Oliver had thoroughly won over the Wynter household and servants.  Everyone treated him with the utmost respect but appreciated that he did not act like an overlord and treated everyone equally.  

The dining hall was only used once for his birthday when the manor celebrated his coming-of-age. However, after that, it collected dust because Oliver spent his meals with the servants or the soldiers. 

He also did not remain idle. He would help with the management, train the soldiers, and teach Ian different war strategies.  He would often travel to the nearby villages and build rapport with them.  Although the capital held great disdain for Oliver, the north believed him to be a reliable leader and respected him greatly.

He also didn't neglect his family and would send them letters. He felt deep trepidation at first because he could still recall the empty feeling of never receiving a reply from them from his previous life. When he received his first response, he retreated to his room to calm his turbulent emotions. 

He was battle-worn and sustained countless injuries, but the most vicious wounds were the ones that scarred his soul. The kind-hearted letter signed by his mother started to heal those unseen wounds.

Sampson remained in the cellar of the estate the entire time.  Oliver had extracted enough information to confirm that Tomin sought his death.  However, he knew that behind Tomin was Piers.  He would not rest easy until his ex-fiance was dead.

However, he did not need to worry about it for the time being.  Winter was quickly approaching, and the air was getting much colder. Snow would soon fall, and any traveling would be postponed, which included potential assassins.

They would also intercept the letters directed to Sampson, inquiring about the progress of the assassination.  They would send vague replies, signing it with Sampson's name, and bought some time.

Oliver continued to correspond with The Raven, receiving news about the other kingdoms, so he was aware of the current world affairs and his old friends. Savvi and Gallio were training to take on their designated roles in the kingdoms, so they didn't have an opportunity to travel outside their realms.  

He also received a little information about Rucrea, but his heart sank a little deeper with each letter. Draco's name never appeared. 

He tried to remind himself that it was natural that he couldn't receive much information about Rucrea and its people. This was a land of mystery, as was their kingdom. Not many ventured that far north because natural borders guarded it. One could only enter Rucrea by sea or from the south. However, the northern seas were violent and covered in ice, while the south forced travelers to cross the treacherous Asksno Peaks.