16. A Ball

Despite the dark atmosphere of the Kardos manor, the capital was bustling with excitement as the Prince's ball approached. While Antony and Aaron knew the truth, Sophia and Conrad were tense because of the Prince's attitude towards Oliver.

Ewen was perplexed.  He was preparing for Oliver to throw a tantrum and cry.  But to his disappointment, Oliver continued with his regular routines. The only difference was that he was now training with Antony and the Core soldiers in private.

With the vitality in the dragon's heart, Oliver was quickly reaching his peak condition. His body became sturdier during this time of intense training, and his thin body was starting to fill out with broad shoulders.  He was no longer the thin and sickly-looking man.

He donned his charcoal pants and dress shirt, then tied a silver cravat under his chin.  He sorted through his modest collection of jewels, picked out a purple diamond set in a silver brooch, and pinned it to his cravat.  He then slid his arms into a charcoal grey tailcoat with a subtle silver pattern.  He finished his look by pulling his hair up in a ponytail and tying it with a thin ribbon. 

He examined himself in the mirror and wanted to laugh at the strange appearance.  Before, he would dress up in jewels and frills, curl his hair, and wear powder.  But for thirty years, he only knew how to wear his armor.  He hadn't dressed up for a celebration in a long time, and now it was a strange feeling.

He walked out of his room to find Sarah waiting for him.  She let out a surprised gasp as she examined his outfit.

"Thoughts?" He asked.

She smiled happily. "Very handsome."

She leaned closer to him as they walked side by side.  "Are you feeling nervous today?"

Oliver shook his head. "No. I have looked forward to this day, honestly.  Nothing sounds better than freedom and going home." 

"When will you leave for Wynter?"

"Tomorrow if I could.  But my mother will probably make me stay for a couple of days."  He explained.  However, Sarah knew how he was looking forward to leaving.  Antony helped him send back most of his luggage in advance without arousing suspicions. 

He noticed that she looked discontented. He tilted his head briefly and smiled, knowing Sarah's character. "I'll have some soldiers escort me, but everyone there is a stranger to me. I would like a familiar face to join, if possible."

Sarah perked up and smiled. "Really?"

Oliver chuckled. "Would you like to accompany me?"

She nodded enthusiastically. "I'll pack things tonight, so I will not slow you down!"

As they made their way downstairs, he heard the exclaims of his family.  They complimented him ceaselessly, except for Ewen, who remained sullen.  He was upset that Oliver had not been acting as he had predicted, and now he took on the appearance of a beautiful and classy gentleman.  There were no traces of his previous flippant behaviors. 

Oliver ignored him and greeted everyone else. He followed his parents to their carriage and sat between Conrad and Ewen. He just felt ill at ease when sitting next to Ewen. To calm himself, he closed his eyes and controlled his breathing.

He didn't open his eyes until he heard the ambient chatter from the palace.  Their carriage door opened, and the sons climbed out and waited to the side for their father and mother to follow.

Aaron was first and held his hand out for Sophia.  He was usually a stern-looking man, but his eyes softened when he helped Sophia out of the carriage.  Oliver noticed every detail and couldn't help but appreciate the subtle gestures.