8. A Ghost Becomes a Trainee

Oliver had watched the Russells scurry away in their carriage. When he saw them disappear down the road, he closed the door firmly behind him with a light laugh. He was happy to be rid of that bastard. He turned back only to jolt from seeing their family butler behind him.

Butler Julian had served their family for a long time, following his uncle into raids and battles, winning his own merits. However, instead of accepting a commanding role amongst the soldiers, he decided to follow Oliver's father and live as a butler.

Oliver had always thought that he had more skills than he had revealed. In his last life, he never witnessed his abilities. However, he knew his initial assumptions underestimated his actual skills, considering how he snuck up on Oliver.

He frowned subtly, realizing that Julian probably joined his family back to Wynter and died alongside them.

"Young Lord." Julian bowed slightly.

"I'm sorry for the messy scene, Julian." He patted Julian's shoulder as he walked passed him.

Julian stared at his receding back before he spoke out again. "Young Lord, what rumors do you know of?"

Oliver stopped, realizing that Julian had been standing behind him for a long time.  He turned back around. "Rumors I dare not speak out loud until I have confirmed my evidence."

"Are the rumors that terrible or that damning?" Julian asked quietly.

Oliver sighed ruefully. "Both."

Julian paused. "Shall I look into it for you?" 

It was a surprising offer. Julian was his father's man and would never proactively work for Oliver. However, Oliver's attitude and actions stirred his curiosity.

Oliver shook his head. "No. I have my means. However, I will let you know if I need your investigative prowess.  Thank you for your offer."

Julian bowed slightly. "Of course, Young Lord."

Oliver returned to the dining room and found that the plates were set on the table, including a spot reserved for him.  He had not sat at a table for dinner in a long time, especially with his family. He was used to finding a clean place on the ground near a campfire and eating what he could stomach while sharing a flask of ale with his men. Supping with soldiers was rowdy and chaotic, but it was home for so long.

But now, there were light conversations and fragrant foods.  The stench of the battlefield did not overwhelm him, and he was not choked by the smoke of the makeshift funeral pyres.  

Peaceful.

He felt a warmth inside of him that contrasted the normal cold look on his face as he sat down.

"It's good to have you join us, dear." His mother said kindly.

"I have neglected my familial duties," Oliver said quietly. "I'll be more attentive in the future."

It was a promise he didn't dare to break, especially when he saw the satisfaction on his parents' faces.

Conrad sat his wine cup down and gave him a confused look. "You're suddenly... pleasant. Why?"

"Conrad!" Aaron and Sophia called out at the same time.

Oliver's raised the corners of his lips. "I think you knocked some sense in me." He rubbed the small knot on the top of his head.

Conrad laughed heartily. "If I knew that was all it took, I would have hit you sooner."

"If we can avoid you hitting me in the future, I will appreciate it." Oliver gave a wry smile as he took a sip of the wine from his glass.