14. An Expected Invitation

The days and nights passed in relative harmony in the Kardos manor. Oliver made it a point to avoid Ewen as much as possible, spending most of his time in the barracks with Conrad, playing with Avery, or reading in the library. At night, he would go out to the gardens, where Antony would accompany him to practice his movements.

Many have noticed Oliver's reluctance to be close to Ewen, causing some whispers in the estate, but Oliver didn't change his attitude.  In his previous life, Ewen admitted that he was with Piers years before Piers broke off his engagement. Therefore, Ewen was already climbing into Piers' bed, probably feeding him information from the Kardos household. Any trust he harbored for his little brother has been long stripped.

However, Oliver did not instigate anything. He figured it would be best to stay distant. Once he was done with this engagement, he would move back to Wynter. He feared for his family but knew his presence would put them in more danger. Let him be out of sight for a while. He will continue to make changes to steer away from their dark fate.

He just needed to hold on a bit longer, and he would finally be able to go home.

He was sitting leisurely in the library; his clothes were loose and casual, unlike his old style. His hair was tied back, and the long translucent silver brushed over the back of the chair. His long fingers flipped through the pages of the book he was reading.

He had ultimately won over the servants, and they couldn't help but try to steal a glimpse of him when he was like this. Oliver could sense them coming and going, and he sighed lightly. When Sarah came rushing in, he got up to stretch and placed the book on the table by the chair.

"Oliver. A messenger from the Royal Family came and is waiting at the door." She said breathlessly.

Oliver nodded and realized that the timing was right for the invitation to the coming-of-age ceremony. But he knew his invitation would be a little different from the others. In his past life, he threw a tantrum, attacked the messenger, and then destroyed his room in a fit of rage.

Now, he looked forward to this expected invitation.

He didn't bother to straighten his clothes or dress up. He rolled up his sleeves and walked with Sarah to the entrance. He made eye contact with Ewen, who seemed a little too eager for this message. Oliver had to shake his head, admonishing himself for being so blind. Ewen was always looking for his destruction.

He nodded towards the messenger and held out his hand expectantly. The messenger was surprised about his greeting. Usually, Oliver would take an hour to dress and look his best, then come bounding down the stairs like an excitable puppy. But there was no trace of immaturity this time. Although his clothes were casual, he still carried a dignified air.

He handed the invitation over and coughed a little. "Young Lord, the Prince has a message for you as well."

Oliver looked at the thick invitation in his hand and didn't bother to lift his eyes toward the messenger. "Oh?"

The messenger shivered a little from the overwhelming feeling he received from Oliver. "Um... he apologizes, but because he will be busy with the crowning ceremony, he will not be able to escort Lord Oliver to the ball.

Sophia was in the entryway with the rest of his family when they heard this. Her face darkened. "You mean to tell us that the Prince has no desire to bring his fiance to his crowning ceremony, nor does he intend to escort him? Is this the courtesy he shows to the Kardoses and the Future Royal Consort?"

"Perhaps I should have a meeting with the King," Aaron said; his look was equally dark.

However, Oliver just flipped the invitation between his fingers. "No need. This will also be convenient for me."

A Ghost's Wish [MxM]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara