2 • Less Lonely

The walls of your bedroom in your family home was covered in pictures. Behind them the wallpaper was a deep blue. It reminded you of the Great Lake at night, when the moon shone upon it.

The many pictures on the walls were less of a decoration choice than it was a way of trying to feel less lonely. In many of them you'd find yourself smiling with Draco, Jade, Crabbe, Goyle, Pansy and a few others of the Slytherin house. Some of them were candid ones from trips to Hogsmead, and one where Draco was in deep thought, wand in hand, sitting in the common room. The more childish ones were mostly Crabbe taking selfies with your camera, sticking his tongue out or making his eyes go crisscross. You found them funny. There were also a few of you posing with Jade.

One of the pictures showed Professor Snape, taken in your sixth year. In the picture you could first see him looking away, before he realised there was a camera and his dark eyes stared right into the lense. You remembered him being awfully angry that time, but Draco had said it was his camera and the professor let you go with a warning. He did not even demand to have the picture destroyed.

I wonder Draco, is your life as easy as it may seem to others?

You had obviously kept the picture. Letting your friends know it was a prank to see Snape's reaction. But that wasn't the truth.

Telling the truth wasn't your main concern, anyway.

-

In the middle of your room you had your trunk open. Usually you wouldn't pack until last minute, but since you were leaving early this year to go to the Malfoy Manor, you'd figured you should get to it.

Packing all your usual stuff, you also brought your camera. Having previously been enjoying the pictures on the walls you'd decided to bring three of them with you.

One of you and Jade, one of Draco and the one of Professor Snape. The latter being... captivating after all.

You tucked the pictures into a notebook you had with a lock. It was one of those Muggle ones you'd gotten from your father, after he had been working on a case with Arthur Weasley. You huffed at the thought.

Getting past the lock would be easy for any wizard or witch, but it was a personal item that no one should be near in the first place. If anyone wanted to know your secrets there were charms and potions far more practical to put into use, than to go through your stuff. However, just the fact that you were in possession of a Muggle item would be enough for some people to put a wand to your throat.

Once you'd finished packing you carried the trunk down the stairs to say your goodbyes to your family.

You weren't allowed to use magic outside of school, but Draco's father had pulled some strings in order for his son's guests to arrive safely at the manor. As you do...
However, having gotten your license to apparate recently, you were excited to finally give it a proper try.

From your livingroom you focused your thoughts on the manor, with your hand resting on the handle of your trunk, and apparated out of there.

-

As you'd focused on the manor the bitterness of Mr. Malfoy's position and power at the Ministry had poisoned your mind. Again, not jealous.

So, naturally, you now found yourself standing with your trunk in his study. The pale long haired wizard sat behind his desk, looking up at you.

Holy shit.

«When I wanted Draco's friends to arrive safely, this was not what I meant», he said and raised an eyebrow at you. «Though I am glad to see that you found your way», he added and looked back down at his parchments.

«I'm sorry Mr. Malfoy, I didn't mean for this to happen», you excused yourself looking down at the very soft and velvety carpet you found yourself stood on. It was as red as blood. Practical, one might say.

«I'm assuming you're miss Y/LN, the girl I was yet to meet», he said, looking up at you once more. Only this time it seemed as though he scanned your features before meeting your stare.

«Uh, yes. Please, it's Y/N. Nice to meet you Mr. Malfoy», you said looking flustered.

The wizard then rose from his chair and grabbed his cane. You gulped as he approached you swaying said cane into his other hand repeatedly.

«Y/N... It's my pleasure», he said as he stopped just a couple of inches from yourself. You felt his breath against your face. Looking up at him you tried to smile and hide the fact he was intimidating you more than you would ever want to admit.

He lifted his hand and started to carefully put your hair behind your ear. «I'm surprised to see that Draco has found himself such a... beautiful friend like you», he said, almost whispering the last part.

Before you had the time to come up with anything to say the doors to the study burst open.

«How many times do I have to tell you to knock before entering my study?» Mr. Malfoy growled, seeing his son standing there.

«I just-», Draco looked at you confused, but you managed to form a giggle as to soften the situation.

«Hi Draco, I seemed to have apparated into the wrong room. Your father was just letting me know where to find you», you said and nodded at Mr. Malfoy. He was now resting both his hands on his walking stick, looking at you with a blank expression.

«Take her with you, Draco. And don't disturb me again, is that clear?» He walked back to his desk, his grey eyes still focused on you.

Did he really think I was beautiful?

Draco groaned, «I was just going to tell you that the bloody house elf managed to burn our dinner. When will mum be back? She managed to keep them in line».

Spoiled brat, indeed.

Mr. Malfoy was suddenly looking more amused, and you weren't sure it had anything to do with the request of his wife, or the comment of the burnt food.

«Narcissa is visiting her sister, Draco. You and I both know she might... stay a while», he replied calmly as he sat down, patting his clothes to ensure they didn't wrinkle. «Now leave», he waved his hands at both of you.

Draco hurried over to take your trunk and grabbed you by the arm to lead the way out of there rather quickly.

«See you around, Y/N,» you heard the dark voice from the study snicker before the door was shut behind you.