1 • Eat or Be Eaten

Some people go through life and gets everything handed to them.

They might be born into a wealthy powerful family like the Malfoys, or they're born into a place of fame - where in the Potter boy's case there were no family at all. At least not one significant or loving enough, from what you'd heard.

What they both had in common however, was that it all seemed to go so smooth for them. Draco never had to worry about finances, and hardly anyone dared to do him wrong as they knew they would either hear from his father, or Professor Snape who always had his back. The girls also seemed to swoon for the blonde haired boy.

The Potter boy on the other hand, arrived at Hogwarts a celebrity. Rumours said he had inherited a lot of money from his parents after their deaths, so finances didn't seem to be an issue for that kid either. At the same time, his fame gave him friends, support and acknowledgement. Somehow he had also gotten some quidditch skills from his father, just to top it all off. And not to forget the fact he was indeed the chosen one, whatever that meant.

No - you weren't jealous. You were smart enough to know that both boys had issues to deal with, none of which you'd trade for. Not that you knew much about them.

It was just annoying. How some people just got things so easily, as if everything was handed to them.

-

You had fought your way through your first six years of Hogwarts, and were soon to go into your seventh and last year. You were in the Slytherin house, and had managed to make friends with Draco. He was younger than you by two years, but it didn't matter. Being friends with him came with perks.

The first two years of school before you met Draco you had been more invisible than a ghost. You weren't the loudest or the most outgoing student, and perhaps that was the sole reason why you didn't have too many friends. It didn't bother you too much, as you were comfortable in your own company most of the time.

After befriending Draco you had been introduced to a girl called Jade. She was your age, and knew the Malfoy family well. It didn't take long till you started seeing her as your bestfriend, and you trusted her with your soul.

Jade was also a Slytherin, of course. She had long black hair like a raven. Her skin was pale, but her eyes had the colour of the most enchanting green forest you could ever see. They matched her uniform quite well.

You still saw Draco as a spoiled brat. But he didn't need to know that. Quite honestly, most of the people in his group of friends came from wealthy families, some more powerful than the others. And when it came to the perks of being friends with him - it seemed as if Draco's own seemed to rub off on you. No one bothered you much, and Slytherins had your back. You weren't invisible anymore.

It also meant that you were welcome at the Malfoy Manor. You still hadn't been there, but Draco had suggested inviting the whole group by the end of summer. And you intended to go.

-

You weren't handed everything. Although some would argue that being a pureblood was exactly that - everything.

Maybe it would have, if your family were wealthy. Or famous. Or significant in any way. But they weren't. Although your mum and dad both worked for the Ministry and weren't exactly poor either, they were only assistants to.. well.. you know, more important people. You could even say they were invisible to the masses.

Even Arthur Weasley had a more significant role at the Ministry. But that must have been the only thing that poor family could be proud about, besides the older brother doing something with dragons though - that sounded quite cool.

Being a pureblood gave you one thing, and that was the respect from other purebloods. And you would use it for what it was worth.

-

You'd sat by the window in your bedroom reading when an owl came and plopped down on your windowsill. You were catching up on Potions, as Professor Snape had asked you to be better prepared this year, promising to move you to Advanced Potions if you could prove exactly that.

The owl had a letter stamped with the Malfoy crest. You took the letter and patted the owl's head carefully.

«Thank you, little friend», you said, and it gave you a chirp and a hoot back.

You opened the letter and read:

Dear Y/N,

So it has been decided! I'm inviting you all to my house for the last weekend before term starts. There's plenty of room for you all.

Bring all your stuff as I'm thinking we'll all go together for the Express monday 1. september.

Remember to tell no one else, this is strictly for invites only.

Oh, and just so you know, my father will be home. But he won't be bothering us.

Draco.

You stared at the letter in your hands, smiling to yourself. Though it had been years since you roamed the halls of Hogwarts by yourself, you still remembered how it felt like to be alone. The memory, and the feeling of it, was bitter to you.

If only I'd had parents more important in this world, maybe I wouldn't have to rely on others to get by. Things would.... Just be handed to me.

Now looking at the letter at least you felt like you'd done something for yourself. And you knew it was cruel of you to think of your parents that way, when in reality they hadn't done anything wrong.

It was just this «eat or be eaten» type of world.

And you intended to eat, obviously.