74 • Hero Complex

The door knocked on the little house two doors down from the Snape house in Spinner's end. Old Mrs. Davies smiled to the deliveryman and told him politely she was not expecting any gifts this year.

«It does say your name here, Madam», the young boy confusingly said. He was new to his job and was trying to be careful in order not to mess things up. He was yet to do so, and wondered if this might be it.

«Let me see», the old lady looked at the letter that was secured to the package. «Hm, it is my name», she confirmed as she looked around the street suspiciously.

«Then I believe this is for you», the boy smiled, «merry christmas».

Mrs. Davies hestitated a bit as she took the gift from the boy's hands and thanked him, wishing him a joyful christmas. He nodded politely and took his leave, relieved that he was yet to do a mistake.

Though that's exactly how you grow.

The old lady glanced down at the Snape house and narrowed her eyes, she remembered how the nice girl had said she would send her a card; though this was no card. She closed the door behind her as she reentered her little house.

In the safety of her livingroom, Mrs. Davies opened the letter to reveal a few sentences.

Thank you for your kindness.
As you said; what goes around, comes around.
Merry christmas.

She smiled and put the card away before opening the neatly wrapped box. Inside she found a small bag holding muggle coins more than enough to pay for the two jackets, as well as a lovely scarf and matching mittens in what happened to be her favourite colour.

Her heart instantly grew warm.

-

The rest of the holiday went by fast. The drive back went smooth, no police, no snakes; no drama.

You'd already attended classes for two weeks, but eventually the day you'd dreaded had to come around.

Draco was back.

-

When you left your chambers that morning to deliver Scarlet to Madam Pomfrey, a house elf appeared by your door, startling you as you yelped.

«Oh no, Garrik did not mean to scare Miss Y/LN. Garrik is very sorry», he squealed, looking terrified of what your reaction might be. You widened your eyes.

«It's alright», you paused, «Garrik, is it?»

«Yes, Miss, Garrik works in the kitchen. Garrik was rescued by Master Dumbledore, Miss».

You felt confused, «oh, okay. It's nice to meet you, Garrik, but I have to go». Scarlet tilted her head, showcasing her curiousity as she stared at the little elf.

«No no», Garrik held up his hands as to stop you from leaving, «Miss Y/LN must not go alone, Garrik will take you. Master Snape said to take Miss Y/LN safely to her destinations and not leave her out of Garrik's sight». You sighed deeply.

«He really said that? What for?»

Garrik shook his head and looked scared, «Garrik does not do lies, Miss. Master Snape said Draco Malfoy is bad, and not to speak to him.  Not let him close to Miss Y/LN. Garrik is afraid, Garrik has heard stories of Malfoys.. in the kitchen», he quickly covered his mouth in a gasp, «Garrik as said too much, oh, Garrik is bad».

The little elf picked up one of your shoes next to the door and proceeded to slap his face with it, you pulled it out of his hands quickly. «Don't do that», you narrowed your eyes, «you're good».