16: Money Bag

A/N: If you guys didn't know I struggle with social anxiety and I thought I'd share this as a resource. I signed up for this site where you could text or speak to a therapist comfortably from wherever you are in the world and it allowed me to actually express how I felt instead of focusing on being judged. While this message is sponsored it truly did help me. So If you need to talk to someone I encourage you to get the proper help you need! Everyone who uses the link below receive 20% off of their first month.
https://onlinetherapy.go2cloud.org/SH56

Excuse any errors Chile I was tryna get this out quick
_______________

So of course I passed that shit. I'm official a high school graduate. Now I can finally get to the bag. I went on YouTube and somehow started watching some podcasts. An idea instantly popped up in my head. Why don't I create a platform where artist already want to sign to me rather than me convincing them.

I would get paid to have them on the podcast, and upload video format to YouTube, and get paid again after I sign them. Not to mention the free publicity and potential product placements.

I planned the show outline and the first few episodes along with potential artists. I think getting current artists signed under the label as well as unsigned artists would be the best route.

I was broken away from my thoughts as Key came his nosy ass in the room.

"You been in here for a minute." He said.

"Yeah I'm working out some details."

"Can I help?

"Knock yourself out

"If you wanna do this effectively I think you should tell your story first. Do some interviews and funnel the attention towards your podcast.

"I actually agree but I don't have that much value to offer

"You got your IP and shit figured out?"
*IP=Intellectual Property *

"I'm really just planning the episodes  so I can produce them in bulk." I explain.

I actually ended up getting more done than what I was expecting to. I really see my career taking off. I filmed the introductory episode. Of course of all the days  Lori chose this one to park in the garage.

 Of course of all the days  Lori chose this one to park in the garage

"Fuck we gotta redo that." I say sighing

"Keep it in there it's authentic, you don't want to come off too polished it doesn't relate well. Well just cut back in like nothing happened." Key explained.

I have a fake laugh, "Sorry about that y'all I'm filming in this garage and my friend  just got home. You wanna drop some music industry gems  to the audience while you're here Lori?"

"Don't burn bridges  you never know who someone knows. Everyone in this industry is connected and even outside this specific industry are connected." Lori behind the camera.

"I appreciate that gem.  She'll be back for episode two with more gems because she now owes me." I announce before  key cut the camera.

"That was funny as hell." Key said.

"Anyways, what are your up to?" Lori said.

"That's what we're doing now?" Key says.

Lori ignored him.

"Why you tripping right now." Key said getting frustrated.

"I'm not tripping." She said defensively.

"Why won't you talk to me then?" He asked.

"Because I don't have to Key! When I'm ready to talk to you I will. Until then though give me my fucking space bro." She says.

"How much fucking space do you need? You ain't even been home like that." Key yelled.

"I have shit to do Key! I can't lay up at home all day with you when i still got family I need to take care of!" She yelled.

"I told you when I first met you that I got you and your family. Fuck else do you want?" Key replied.

"For you to- I'm not even gone go there today." Lori said calming herself down.

"Uhhh To answer Lori's question from earlier I'm starting a podcast where I'll showcase potential talent and give tips on breaking into the industry. I figured I could find people to sign more easily if I put myself out there. Plus I'd make money on the front and backend." I say awkwardly.

"That's actually a good ass idea Jay. I can record episode two right now since I'll be gone the rest of the week." Lori said.

I think she only said that to piss off Key some more. The fuck did I get myself into. I need get the fuck out these people house. I'm to young to be playing house. I'm tryna fuck on Drake in Dubai and they playing.

"Bet. You down key?" I ask.

"I apparently ain't got shit else to do." He says nonchalantly.

"Thank y'all I appreciate it." I say.

Key gave a thumbs up.

Lori gave a forced smile.

After filming that shit for damn near five hours I was ready to say fuck that podcast. The tension in that room was thick as fuck. With all the lights and equipment in the garage it got hot as fuck which made the situation no better. Lori and Key at least kept it professional during the filming.

I love the podcast to death but ain't no fucking way I'm supposed to do this recording all at once.  Then I gotta edit  the shit on top of that. Of course my dumb ass scheduled episode three with GloRilla for Next week.

Not only was I scrambling to get this podcast up and running these next few weeks. I now have to build an audience from scratch. Lori  ended up getting me a last minute meeting with marketing team the next day to see if they'd invest in my idea. I showed the label my proof of concept to see if I could hire a team.

The label executive watched the first fifty five seconds of my podcast and said verbatim, "I really love the idea but unfortunately your audience hasn't been established and is a risky investment. You're more than welcome to hire your own team."

If I  had the money to hire my own team I would have my own damn label and podcast.

"Thank you for your time." I said attempting to sound happy.

Fuck it I'll figure something else out. I decided to release the episodes ahead of schedule and film as I go. I chopped up clips of the podcast into digestible TikTok's since that's the most popular social platform.   Since the buzz around Glorilla hadn't completely died down I used that to my advantage. She already had built an audience.

Over the next few days I see the views were steadily rising. The views were nothing major but the first episode was doing good in the algorithm. I replied to every comment trying to desperately increase the engagement. My analytics were looking good but still under the threshold for monetization. Debating if I should learn to run ads. I got too much shit on my plate already, no thanks. If booked and busy was a person I'd be it.