13: Lie to Me

The woman ran up and hugged me.

"I'm sorry this is a private event." I say.

"Jaylen don't fucking play with me." She yelled.

"Could you lower your tone? I wouldn't want my peers thinking I'd associate myself with someone with such low caliber." I say knowing it'll piss her off.

"I'll beat your ass right in front of all these people." She threatened.

"Ma'am I'm not looking for an assistant at the moment." I say loudly causing Key to walk over.

"Is there a problem?" Key asked.

"This bitch is harassing me." I say.

She lunged at me causing me to get my clothes dirty as I fell to the ground. Well here we go. Every one was now staring at us. Key looked at me instantly as he pulled my "surrogate" off of me. I knew not to do anything stupid.

"I'll get Lontrell and Kentrell to fuck you up bitch." She threatened.

Lori came running down to the lobby. Security came escorting her out of the building. Where the fuck were y'all when she just breezed right in?

"Are you okay Jaylen?" Lori asked.

"Yeah, Im just ready to go." I say simply.

Key signaled to Lori he was going to leave with me. I am embarrassed this shit will be everywhere. She fucking my bag up before it even started.

"I'll meet y'all there." Lori said.

As soon as I walked out a journalist bombarded me with questions "Jaylen where is GloRilla?"

"Reports are saying there was a fight, is this true?" They asked.

I gave a fake smile getting into the car, "Nothing but Great things to come!"

The video of me and my mom was everywhere fueling even more anger. The car ride home was silent. I'll definitely hear about this at school. The shade room wasted no time "A&R attacked by mom at GloRilla signing party." There was no point of getting angrier. I started thinking of ways I could get even.

Based off what I know I'll have to clear the label, Gloria, and myself of any liability. I have to make a post but I'll ask Lori to look it over. I needed to change my number and get a restraining order. I need to hit her where it hurts financially.

Once we made it home I got straight to work. I started writing in my notebook. Key stared at me confused.

"What's that shit called when you sue someone you for using your likeness." I ask.

"Trademark infringement?" He said unsurely.

"No nigga it's like decease and assist." I say.

Key bursted out with laughter, "A cease and desist?"

I rolled my eyes and continued scribbling in my notepad.

"What you about to do?" Key asked.

"Don't worry about it." I say.

"I'm clearly more familiar with the subject than you, but knock yourself out baby boy." Key said walking away.

"Help me then." I say.

"Alright what's up." He said walking back over.

I handed him the notebook.

"Where'd you learn this?" Key asked impressed.

"I'm smart like that." I say.

"Seems like you know your "assistant" pretty well and y'all do favor each other." Key said hinting at something.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I say getting annoyed.

"Chill it's just me and you. I feel like you been keeping secrets from me and I don't like that." He said.

"Nothings a secret Id prefer not to talk, and you ain't never told me about your past." I say defensively.

"I came from affluent parents, but they died in a car accident while I was young. I got adopted by my uncle who ain't really have it like that. I was left an inheritance of 500 million. My uncle mismanaged the funds and I never got to see it. After losing the money he blamed me and became a abusive alcoholic. Fast forward here I am today as you see. Now let me hear your shit nigga." Key said.

"You cannot just breeze past all of that." I explain.

"Can and did." Key said.

"Fine. That was my mom that attacked me in the lobby. And she's only apologizing for money." I say.

"Very familiar with that experience." Key said.

"So have You ever like wondered what your life would've been like if your parents were still in your life?" I asked.

He hesitated, "nah."

He began to look away. I could see his eyes were turning red.

"Same here." I lied trying to make him comfortable.

He sniffled.

I awkwardly gave him a hug because I didn't know what to do.

"Get off me nigga got me getting all emotional and shit." He said laughing through the tears.

"Only if you teach me futures." I say lowly.

What?" He asked.

"I ain't say nothing crybaby." I teased.

He jumped at me, I flinched.

"That's what I thought." He said.

"If you say so." I laughed.

He opened up his computer. He began to show me his portfolio again. He thoroughly to me explained the different markets and their derivatives. This shit was beyond boring or so I thought. Once I understood the dark origins it became everything but boring. My eyes opened up to a whole new reality. There was a point in time where my ancestors were the securities exchanged on the market. Some of the largest insurance firms insured plantation owners on the slaves they owned if they died during transport.

"How could you participate knowing the origins?" I ask.

"Money to put it simply." Key said.

"All money ain't good money." I said with complete disgust.

"As much as I hate that shit I can't change it. Everything in this world was built off the backs of us. I'm just reclaiming ownership." Key said.

"I think I'm good on the stocks bruh." I say.

He showed me what appeared to a list of companies.

"Slavery never ended it just got rebranded These are all companies that use captive labor. So them shoes you got on was made by an inmate. They mass incarcerate and force those people to work for less than a few dollars a day. Private prisons make almost 400 million annually in revenue from government and company contracts. There's been a facility built once every 10 days on average over the last 15 years." Key explained.

_______
A/N: That got real deep... What's next for Jaylen and the crew?