12: F.N.F

"You play too much." Key said frustrated.

"A lie." I say.

Keys phone began to rang before we could continue.

"Yo wassup." He said answering through the car.

"Where the fuck is Jaylen?" Lori asked.

"With me, you on speaker."

"Hey Lori." I said cheerfully.

"Why you ain't been answering your phone. I told you to call me back." She said annoyed.

"My bad I forgot. I turned it off because you know who was texting me."

"Who's that?" Key ask.

"The fuck does she want." Lori asked ignoring Key.

"She talking about I wanna talk to you after seen I got GloRilla signed." I say.

"Wait! You got her signed?" She asked.

"Yeah they announced it all over the radio, Jaylen got hella followers. Where you been?" Key says answering for me.

"Nobody was talking to you." I say.

"I'm sorry who's phone is this? But who's she?" Key asked.

"My mom nigga." I say getting annoyed all over again.

"Awe." He said now wanting to stay out of it.

"Anyways, congrats Jaylen this is huge can you come back to my office. I got some paperwork for you." She said.

"So I gotta turn around?" Key asked.

"Bet I'll be there." I say ignoring Key.

"Love Y'all bye." She says

"Byeee." We said in unison.

I reached back and grabbed my phone and powered it back on. I muted my mom's calls and texts.

"What's up with you and your mom?" Key asked.

"Nosy ass." I reply laughing.

"I'm serious Jaylen." He says muting the radio.

"She kicked me out the other day nothing major." I say simply.

"Why did she kick you out?" He asked.

"Because I bought a car and she felt I was selfish for buying a car instead of helping her with the bills. When in reality I got the car to be able to make some money and she kicked me out the same day." I say.

"What about the job you had when you came to the dealership?" He asked confused.

"Bro I lied on that application. I was unemployed as fuck until now." I say truthfully.

"I ain't hear that last part for legal reasons. But damn she just kicked you out like that?" Key said.

"Me and my mom was on section 8 bro, my dad a crackhead, I ate noodles damn near every day for breakfast and dinner, and took two busses to school. I prayed and manifested for that damn car. All this shit that's happening to me now wasn't supposed to." I explain.

"Nah that's divine timing that ain't no coincidence. I'm proud of you Jay you worked hard for this." Key says arriving to the office.

"Thank you I appreciate it." I say.

He turned off the car and got out with me. I guess he's coming with. I entered the building and the security guard began clapping. I looked around confused as more people including Key began to clap as Lori got off the elevator.

I hate being in large crowds of people especially ones I don't know that well. I just smiled trying to mask my rampant anxiety.

"This is our youngest and newest edition to the team Jaylen aka Jaylen the Creator. He just signed his first artist GloRilla! Please help yourselves to the some snacks and beverages in the break room." Lori announces queuing the music.

Key punched my shoulder, "Congratulations stinkabutt, that's payback."

"You about to get fucked up in front of everybody. The fuck even is a stinkabutt?" I mumble." Walking over to Lori.

"So you did the hardest part getting her signed, but now we have to work on you and getting you properly positioned." Lori  said leading me to her office.

"What else do I need to do?" I ask confused.

"People know You and what you do. You'll have occasional interviews and upcoming artist trying to get signed. You need media training, marketing, and image consultant."

"That sounds like a lot of money." I whine.

"I can help you for now until your checks become more consistent. The label is considering awarding GloRilla $500 thousand. They'll start you off at a base commission rate of 6 percent. Which is about $30 thousand excluding any reimbursements if everything goes accordingly. Some advice, Don't go spending it all though because you're not being paid weekly yet until after your first year." She explained as she passed me the documents.

I was at least expecting 20 percent of contract value. What if this is all I make this year? I couldn't rely on just signing an artist that's too close to no income. I needed another way I could make more money to fill in the gaps. I'm trying to get like Key and Lori.

"Where can I find more artist to sign?" I ask.

"Anywhere they just have to be marketable." She says.

Then I started questioning why the label was willing to hand over $500k to a brand new artist with only one hit. There's something I'm missing. How does the label get their money? It looks like they're taking a loss with how much they pay out before distribution, songwriters, producers, and marketing. I'm definitely missing something.

"So how did you spend your first check? " I asked.

"I didn't, I started flipping houses myself instead of trying to just sell to high end clients after meeting Key. Then only sold to my artists I was signing." She says.

"So you made money off the artist twice?" I asked mind blown.

"Hell yeah! I needed consistent income. That Maybach ain't gone pay itself off." She said

"Teach me." I say laughing.

"Get you a real estate license and I got you."

"I hate school, you do the stock market?" I ask,

"Fuck no, you better ask key that shit be confusing me. But it really don't matter just create a business inside the business." She said.

"I don't wanna ask him he been annoying me." I say joking.

"Don't do him." She says laughing.

"Nah I appreciate him and the both of y'all. Let me go beg him to teach me." I say truthfully.

"Alright I'll be back down there to cut the cake." Lori said.

"Bet." I say returning to the lobby.

"Jaylen I'm glad to see you baby." A familiar voice said.

This fucking bitch.

________________
A/N: Who was the familiar voice?"