48. An Old Friend

Start from the beginning

Oliver leaned his head back and released a sound that was halfway between a laugh and a cry. Everyone he cared for was still alive. Avery had even found his way to Draco.

He silently sent a grateful prayer to the unknown gods.

He took a shuddering breath and calmed his emotions. "Can I request something?" Oliver asked.

"Anything, Lord Kardos."

"While the coronation is taking place, can you pass a message to my soldiers?"

"What is your message? I will deliver it personally." She bowed her head slightly.

"Liberate yourselves and wait to receive me near the Camwood Cavern."

She was surprised at first but then smiled. She bowed low. "I will deliver your words without fail. Shall I pass anything along to your Rucrean?"

Oliver shook his head. "I will give him my message myself." He sighed lightly. 

She pushed him toward the door and handed him the bag with the Taotie Orbs. "This helped you before, right?"

He nodded as he accepted the bag. "Thank you."

 She smiled brightly. "My family is from Wynter. They settled in a small village a short ride from the Kardos' estate... nearly a year ago, the village was attacked by Ravagers. The situation seemed desperate, but then you came and turned the tides.  You saved my family that day, Lord Kardos. Then you protected them through the harsh winters. Helping you today was only a small way I could repay that debt."

She fell to a knee, giving him a bow of fealty in the manner of a northern soldier. "Please live."

She pushed him through the door and shut it behind him. What she had planned to do was a mystery to him. He wanted to turn back and help her but had to trust that she knew what she was doing.

She was right... Draco was waiting for him.

He moved down the pitch black pathway. However, Oliver knew the schematics of the palace, so with a hand on the wall, he slowly walked in the silent darkness.

Despite the ominous atmosphere, Oliver was amused by the Belelot's greed.  It was because of this he could find a way to leave. 

However, the tunnels were winding, and the journey was slow. When he first entered the passageway, he was pumped with adrenaline. Now that it was fading, Oliver had to endure the pain that was starting to creep up on him. 

His steps slowed, and he had to stop to catch his breath. When he felt the passage abruptly end, he sighed with relief.  He leaned against the door and closed his eyes, hoping to stop the world from spinning. Before moving to the door, he took out one of the orbs and slowly replenished a little of his magic. It was painful as it moved back into his body, but he didn't stop. He had to grab whatever strength he could to increase his odds.

He was able to absorb a little more than before, but it still wasn't everything.  He sighed and put it away, turning his attention to the door.

Oliver's hand ran along the door until he felt the keyhole. He grabbed the key from his pocket and tried to fit it into the lock. His trembling hands had hindered him, but after a few attempts, he heard the click of the lock.

He entered the room, closed the door behind him, and locked it again. With a groan, he sunk to the ground and sat with his back against the wall. All he wanted to do was sleep. This past week, he only was able to get a few superficial minutes of sleep from time to time. His body was barely keeping upright now.

He just needed a little more time to rest. He knew there were another two passages into the treasury, but they were well hidden. No one should be entering. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply, trying to ignore the pain in his chest.