12: merry christmas

Start from the beginning

"We need to go back to the school," she told them, deciding to ignore the scene she had just walked in on. "I totally forgot about the kids and I have no idea if they're even-,"

"Shit, the kids!" Jen exclaimed in realization.

She hopped down from the counter and grabbed her coat from the table before following Jonathan and Nancy out the front door.

"I- uh- I'll ride with Steve, alright?" she decided, watching as Nancy got in with Jonathan.

"Why?" Nancy asked, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"I- just, he's all alone, so it's better if it's two and two, right?" Jen stammered, opening the passenger door of Steve's car.

Nancy glanced at Steve before slowly nodding her head and closing the door to Jonathan's car. Jennifer turned and got into the car before slamming the door.

"To the school?" Steve asked, glancing over at Jen.

"Uh- yeah, just follow Jonathan," Jen answered, nodding at Jonathan's car.

Steve nodded slowly and tapped his fingers on the steering wheel, trying to ignore the awkward silence that had taken over the car. Jennifer suddenly gasped, breaking the silence and scaring the shit out of Steve.

"I love this song!" she exclaimed, turning up the radio.

The intro of "Come Together" by The Beatles rang out into the car, resulting in a huge smile to be plastered on Jennifer's face.

"He come grooving up slowly!" she sang, moving her hands to the beat and looking over at Steve. "He got joo joo eyeball,"

Steve glanced over at the girl, trying to keep his eyes both on the road and Jennifer.

"You like The Beatles?" he asked, raising his eyebrows.

Jennifer turned the radio back down and looked over at Steve, her jaw dropped in astonishment.

"What?" Steve asked, furrowing his eyebrows at the girl's expression.

"Do I like The Beatles?" she scoffed, shaking her head. "I love The Beatles! I was raised on The Beatles!"

Steve chuckled and shook his head, directing his attention back to the road.

"I just never took you for a Beatles girl," he shrugged.

"What, did you think I was more of a Blondie type of girl?" she asked, wiggling her eyebrows.

"Most definitely,"

Jennifer smiled and turned the radio back up, eventually coercing Steve into singing along with her as well. But, as the school came into view, Jennifer's singing immediately stopped.

"Holy shit," she muttered, turning the radio all the way down.

The parking lot was swarmed with police cars and ambulances. Before Steve had even fully parked the car Jen had jumped out and started sprinting across the lot, her eyes set on her little brother.

"Matt!"

Matt's head lifted and he jumped up from his spot on the back of the ambulance. He immediately started running for his sister and when they reached each other, they wrapped each other in their arms.

She could feel the front of her shirt being wetted due to the tears that were falling from Matt's eyes. She could feel tears welling in her own eyes but she blinked them away, patting Matt's back comfortingly.

After a few seconds, two more bodies joined in on the hug, signalling the arrival of Paul and Amanda.

"Holy shit, we're never going monster fighting again," Amanda shuttered, her arms wrapped around her two kids.