Chapter 17: drama queen

Unedited

The moment I heard that voice, I slipped out of the guy's grip and ran to hug the person whom I discovered was matoe.

"John what happened?"

I heard matoe asked with a baffled tone of voice as I was still wrapped around him.
Yes, I was hugging matoe as if my life depended on him and somehow it did.

" oh it's it's..." the John guy was stuttering and then I heard him sigh. "it's nothing I was  just trying to introduce myself to your sister and she got scared." He crackled with a nervous laugh.

Seriously? I wished I could scream 'liar' at his face but his threat was playing fresh in my head and I know if I should face him now, I will certainly just give up and die

"Actually, for some reason, she gets scared easily so I'll advise you to keep your distance from her for now," Matoe said mildly.

"Alright capo," the John guy said,  I  heard footsteps and then the shutting of the door.

"he's gone Clarrissa" matoe cooed in my ears.
I was hesitant but I slowly pulled away from him gradually. Fright still ripping my chest and crushing my entire being.

"C mom baby you don't  have to be scared of John." Matoe cupped my face and was using his thumb to caress my cheeks. "He is one of our men but he's considered a brother to us already"

A brother? A brother indeed. I will maybe be dense but not that dumb to not be able to read between the lines on something obvious. If I remember correctly. That guy had come to threaten me not to expose him to the de costas maybe probably mistaking me for Rechel because I don't know that guy, how much more his secrets but the whole point I'm driving at is that, he must certainly be a backstabber.

He is probably working something against my brothers behind their backs and maybe Rechel knows about it that's why he came to threaten me in place of her to keep silent.

Should I tell matoe about it?  No, I can't get myself in any trouble. I've already been enough.

"W..well I don't like him," I say instead, it came out in mutters.

"It's okay. Darling " Matoe smiled as he pats my hair and pulled me into a hug. He asked me to follow his breath and I did. He exhaled a couple of times and inhales, I followed every step and gradually I became calm.

"So why did you  come here?" Ask matoe after we've pulled away from the hug.

"I.., I was hungry so I came to get some food" I instantly regretted saying that cause Mateo's once lively face compressed into a deep frown, he gazed at me like I'd done the most unbelievable thing.

I hope it isn't angry at me.
Terror crossed me at the thought of that.
"I... I know I shouldn't have done that Without permission.  I was just really really very hungry." I pleaded while picking on my nails. 

" wow, you don't have to apologize for anything. I'm excited to hear that. It means you have finally decided to fit yourself family" Matoe bubbled with an elated smile as though he'd won the lottery. It instant change of moons was quite weird. One minute he was looking like he was going to kill me out maybe so I thought and now he's looking like an innocent baby.

"And I guess we are just the same dear.  I am hungry too so I came to prepare something for myself. But now that you are here I'm gonna have to prepare for two stomachs." He said hysterically and I beamed with a timid smile.

Matoe got himself busy with the kitchen utensils. I tried offering a helping hand but takes the bowl away from me and asked me to seat on the counter while I watched him do the job.
He starts bringing out different ingredients from the fridge and lockers getting gingered up to cook.