XXIV

Colin, escaping Nora's strenuous attempts to lure the 18-year-old into participating in ambiguous situations, slowly began to use increasingly cursory excuses. He said that he couldn't go for a walk with her alone because his shoe was holey, that he wasn't too fond of water or that he didn't drink much alcohol. The young woman, who does not revel in much beauty, nevertheless strenuously tried to wrap her hands around the fox's hips as best as she could. However, since her attempts did not yield even small results, Jarl Thea's daughter soon began to get irritated, an apparent example of which was the ongoing discussion between them.

Well, discussion in Rainer's opinion was really a delicate term, because here during the training of soldiers, Nora and Colin began to argue with each other about the technique of wielding weapons. Initially it began with biting remarks toward each other that, and that with two swords in your hands you can at most pull out pieces of meat between your teeth, that a shield during combat can serve more as a tray for serving food than defense, or that axes chop wood and not necks.

Rainer did not want to enter into a discussion between the young men for several reasons. First, the wolf didn't even dare to question the way of fighting with an axe and shield, since this was the main hallmark of the technique of fighting opponents of Jarl Thea's family. Secondly, Rainer had seen with his own eyes how two swords in the course of battle can be a bloodthirsty weapon, so he was not going to argue with Colin. Thirdly, the man thought the whole brawl between the youths was irrational and childish. Besides, Rainer decided that, after all, he would not defend Colin against everything he could. After all, since the boy is not in any danger, the wolf can let the fox have his own verbal skirmishes with other rebels. After all, now Colin was one of them, and he had the right to do so.

- A veil of shields will shatter swords, arrows and all other weapons. - Noted Nora standing in the sunshine on this winter day surrounded by practicing soldiers. - There is no better defense.

- You will cover your squad with shields and the enemy will shower you with arrows until they surround you with armor from the flanks. - Replied the boy loudly, trying to stay focused on practicing his weapons. - Shield covering is a solution for a few minutes and not for an entire battle.

- Well, I wouldn't let my unit be flanked. - Threw Nora dryly.

The wolf had been watching Colin closely all this time. It may seem strange, but all indications were that Rainer liked the peculiar way Colin irritated himself. His stubby, shapely and straight nose crinkled angrily, which the man found charming. Strands of white-orange hair fell carelessly across his forehead, looking well-groomed and healthy in the light of day. His emerald eyes glittered with a glow of wild green and emanated an array of negative emotions from such a trivial quarrel. The same was true of his cheeks, which, as a result of the cold and increasing pressure, turned a warm red hue reminiscent of the sight of the sun setting in the sky.

"Even when he gets angry he looks so... loving." - Thought Rainer with embarrassment.

The rebel leader obviously began to pay much more attention to the fox's behavior after talking to Axel. Unluckily for him, no ambiguous situation occurred all this time from which the wolf could draw any conclusions. However, he wondered about the events that had occurred between him and Colin in the past. The fact that the teenager himself wanted to hug the man on that memorable night was particularly intriguing to him. The embrace at the shared resting place was too intimate to be called friendly. Rainer knew this and was sure of it. The problem, however, was that beyond that embrace, nothing more happened between them. Rainer didn't notice that this made Colin feel aroused or impelled to make further attempts to get closer to the man. On the other hand, he didn't quite know what Colin could have done more. Perhaps the man was waiting for the wolf to be the one to take some action? Maybe the fox feels as insecure about Rainer as he does about himself? If that's the case, the two are condemning each other to a game of pretenses in which each side is afraid to take the first step toward the other.