II

Emeralds are rare and beautiful gemstones, and as a result, they were obviously extremely expensive. They were almost unimaginably expensive to the likes of Rainer, Throrstein, and other companions of the rebellion. It is not surprising that anyone would want to be in possession of such trinkets, as they could change the life of their owner forever. Rainer was once in possession of such a treasure. He was the proud owner of the most precious gemstones in the form of his wife's eyes and his only child. An only son.

It had been two days since Rainer's team had attacked the settlement of Jarl Otto, but the man still couldn't look at the face of the young, captured fox. After the wolf heard the voice of the very young man in the main hall, Thorstein temporarily took command. It rightly seemed to Rainer's friend that the wolf had temporarily lost the ability to think rationally and make decisions, but could he be surprised? The lynx then ordered that the fox be taken to one of the rooms in the house of Jarl Otto and treated as a valuable prisoner who could not escape. Valuable, like the green emeralds desired by all.

Colin was bound and his face was covered with a rough cloth bag. This was done for fear that the son of Magnar might remember the way to the hidden rebel headquarters, which is where the team was taking the boy. While the natural reaction of Rainer's comrades should have been to welcome the capture of such a prominent figure as Colin, many of the warriors would have preferred to kill him outright. After all, Magnar had a habit of murdering entire families of his opponents. So why shouldn't Rainer's team also kill this 18-year-old at the first opportunity?

- Let's cut his head off and send him back to Magnar as a gift. - Said one of the warriors walking down the hidden path leading to the rebel hideout.

- I agree with you. - Another of the warriors supported his companion's words. - As far as I know, Magnar still only has a daughter. This will be painful for him.

Rainer heard those words, of course, but it was difficult for him to think about that boy, although on the other hand, his head was not troubled by any other thoughts now. He knew that the final decision would be his, as all his followers loved, respected and devoted to him. However, how could he allow no harm to come to the heir of a criminal dynasty? How could he allow a boy who looked so much like his own child to die?

"The gods mock me. They mock me and spit in my face. Why must he be his son? Why him? How is this even possible?" - Rainer walked with his head wounded like blades by another of his unwanted thoughts.

Thorstein, who had been walking beside his friend the whole time, must have seen Rainer's face when he heard further comments about Colin

Thorstein, who had been walking beside his friend the whole time, must have seen Rainer's face when he heard further comments about Colin. The man furrowed his cracked forehead and then turned on his heel towards the rest of the company.

- Rainer wants to interrogate Magnar's son. We have the opportunity to learn about the enemy's plans. We will find out why the fox came to jarl Otto. - Said Thorestein loudly to his companions.

- After all, we could have questioned him long ago and chopped his head off. - One of the disgruntled warriors interjected.

- With Colin as a hostage we are able to begin negotiations with Magnar. - Thorstein replied, unsure of his own words.