XXVI

Despite the ongoing early spring night, Rainer could perfectly see the torchlight illuminating Magnar's headquarters, North Hill. The fox, the wolf and the she-wolf, after careful preparation, set off on what Colin assured them would be a short journey. From a bird's eye view, the city seemed much larger than Rainer remembered it. Although the wilderness of those steep mountains was dangerous, the wolf couldn't help but admire the area illuminated by moonlight in a clear sky devoid of clouds.

The valley was vast and stretched for many kilometers indeed. From this height, the man could also see the distant coast of the Baltic Sea. As the wolf gazed at these now pitch-dark waters, he couldn't stop thinking about the tale of the Slavic dragon. For he knew that to the south and east beyond that sea were the countries of the Slavs and, according to the book Rainer had read with Colin, it was there that the terrible virgin-devouring beast lived. The story was so fantastic to Rainer that the man really wanted to believe in the existence of this creature. He imagined that one day he would sail beyond the Baltic Sea to defeat the beast and its carcass would be brought back and shown to all the Vikings.

These were, of course, unrealistic fairy tales and the rebel leader was aware of this. What was on the coast of the Baltic Sea, Rainer knew perfectly well. Probably if it were daylight now, the wolf could see the sprawling city of South Port, or rather what was left of it. Stories of the slaughter perpetrated by the rebels in South Port went around Scandinavia very quickly. Was Rainer proud of what he had accomplished there? Certainly not. But did he have a choice? Yes, he had. He could have passed up the opportunity to destroy Magnar's main trading port and, as a result, lost the war before it even had a chance to begin. The burning of the city shocked the entire Viking community, and only then did all the inhabitants of the peninsula realize that Rainer was not going to lose. The carnage that took place there leveled the playing field in the ongoing war.

- Do you admire the Baltic? - Colin asked, carefully guiding Rainer and Nora over the rocky and steep mountains.

- I haven't seen the sea in a long time. - The man admitted. - A Viking on land is like a bird without wings.

- That's right. - Nora agreed. - Before the war I was only on one overseas trip. I dream of returning to England.

- The Christians probably managed to get rich while we were away. - Colin began to think out loud. - What I don't understand is how they are so rich.

- They have a greedy god, so riches are a virtue for them. - Rainer concluded, smiling slyly.

- I don't understand it either. - Answered Nora, who carefully followed Rainer. - They create crosses covered with gold, cups with precious stones and all this they keep in this... what do you call it?

- In the churches? - Colin asked.

- That's right, in the churches. - Replied the girl energetically, then added. - Strange is their faith. They perform cannibalism in these churches.

- I think so. - Laughed Rainer. - Yet I've been to Christian countries several times and I've never seen them eat anyone there.

- How so? - The young woman was surprised. - With my own ears I heard their priest say "This is my body and blood. Eat it and drink it in remembrance of me" or something like that.

- Ah. - Squealed with laughter Colin. - As far as I know, Christians believe that their dead god transforms bread into his body and wine into his blood.

- Really? - Rainer was surprised now. - I had heard about what Nora was saying, but I assumed it was just that kind of silly talk. That some kind of ritual... or something.