VII

"What am I doing? For Odin, what the hell am I doing?" - Thought Rainer as he led Colin that late winter evening toward the mountain hot springs. - "After all, someone might see him. What will I say then? That I'm taking the prisoner with me to keep him entertained? For Odin, this is ridiculous."

            Rainer realized he was taking a real risk only when it was too late to change his decision

Rainer realized he was taking a real risk only when it was too late to change his decision. Nevertheless, the wolf had an entire barrel of dark beer under his arm, while the fox carried two wooden mugs and a pair of rough blankets in his hands. Under different circumstances, the evening could have been really nice. Under circumstances where Colin would be his son, Rainer would not be at war with Magnar and the wolf himself would not be responsible for the lives of the people who followed him. In a way, everything that was happening seemed to be extremely bizarre to Rainer. But could he be surprised? There were many contradictory thoughts running through his mind, which Rainer did not understand, even though he tried very hard to make sense of it all. Unfortunately, everything was mutually exclusive. He was in possession of a valuable prisoner, but this prisoner could not really be of any use to him. Rainer knew that, because although Magnar might fear for his son's life, the wolf could not hurt him. He couldn't, but most of all he didn't want to. Little did he desire anything more at the moment than to simply make this 'captivity' more pleasant for the boy.

Colin seemed oblivious to anything. Rainer saw a slight smile on his face as they climbed the smooth rocks behind which the hot springs were located. The whole situation to the teen himself was probably as bizarre as it was to Rainer. Colin, however, was in a much easier situation according to the wolf, because it was not up to the fox what would happen to him. Colin, unable to do anything and doomed to the mercy of his "torturers," could only cooperate to spare himself unnecessary torture. Of course, he could not know that Rainer would not allow the boy to be harmed. It made the wolf feel admiration for Colin in a way. That even though his life was in danger, the fox didn't seem to think about it at all. He didn't agonize, didn't cry, didn't panic... he was remarkably calm for the circumstances he found himself in.

A wide smile appeared on the boy's face when Rainer finally led Colin to the hot springs. Although the man usually did not pay too much attention to landscapes, he had to admit that this one was impressive. The springs of steaming water in the cold air were surrounded by gray rocks with a variety of snow-covered bushes in between. It was an enchanting place illuminated by moonlight and stars, where Thorstein more than once brought women with whom he wanted to have fun together. Today, however, the hot springs were devoid of visitors, which Rainer was relieved to see.

- We are at the place. - The man said, putting down the barrel with beer on the stone by the water source.

- Yes, I can see that. - Replied the amused boy.

Then Colin put down the cups and a pair of blankets next to the beer keg. He threw off the blanket that rested wrapped around his shoulders and then began to pull off his shirt. Rainer followed the young boy's lead and began pulling off layers of warm clothing. As he pulled his shirt off over his head he momentarily lost sight of Colin. However, as he got rid of his outerwear he immediately noticed that the fox had started to take off his pants.