IV

As soon as Rainer left the druid Agape's cave, he immediately found himself in a ravine surrounded by gray mountain solid rock. Among the wooden buildings and hearths in the fresh, cool air, many people waited for Rainer. They curiously watched the man who, in accordance with his promise, was to consult the sage. We all know how the meeting with Agape went. Rainer knew that he could not tell his companions the words that the gods had supposedly spoken to the druid. Nor was the wolf sure that Agape could have actually made up the whole story about the juicy and rotten apples and the sun towering over the treetops. Her interpretation could also have been false, which Rainer wanted to believe.

- What news Rainer? - One of the onlookers asked. - What did the gods say? What should be done with Magnar' s son?

- The gods speak in riddles. - The man answered without hesitation, bearing in mind that many people were listening to him. - I am now going to question Colin.

"Question Colin. It really sounds and with the rest is unpleasant" - Rainer thought.

It was immediately apparent that the man's answer did not satisfy his friends. They gazed expectantly at the wolf, expecting him to make a decision now. Rainer wanted to stall and delay Colin's question as much as possible. It was clear that the angry people would want to take revenge on Jarl Magnar right now by murdering Colin. Rainer had to be careful if he wanted the boy's life.

- I will question the boy in person and tonight we will meet in the great den and consider all options. - He said aloud.

The man then immediately moved ahead, avoiding the standing people around him. He had nothing more to say to them. Even though he knew each person in this group by name, respected and loved them, he couldn't give them what they expected of him. Rainer knew he wouldn't be able to take Colin's life. That was more than certain to him.

- Rainer! - He heard Thorstein's voice as he began to make his way towards the man through the crowd of people.

- Thorstein. - The man greeted him. - I thought you were planning to take some woman to the hot springs with you when you returned. - Smiled the wolf under his breath.

- That's how it's going to be. - The man smiled with satisfaction. - I will take you to your... - The man literally flinched when he said the word "your". But he quickly got himself under control and finished his sentence. - ...I mean, I will escort you to our prisoner.

- That's all right. I know the way.

- And so I bring you the news. - Rys answered, walking beside his friend. - There have come messengers from Jarl Thea about Jarl Olaf. Apparently they were already here two days ago.

- After all, it is the beginning of winter. - Rainer was surprised when he and his companion entered one of the tunnels plunged into twilight. - What do our allies want from us?

- I was surprised too. - Thorstein the lynx replied. - Either news of our prisoner is spreading fast, or they want to coordinate with us for the winter. Maybe for the spring.

"Great. I still missed Thea and Olaf here." - Rainer furrowed his brow and forehead.

" - Rainer furrowed his brow and forehead