XVI

Rainer's nerve wracked body shivered left and right as he lay on his bed of rushes in anger and despair, holding a mug filled with bitter root beer in his hand. With trembling hands, the man slowly took another sip of the drink, not really thinking about anything other than the teenager's face. Rainer visualized the glow of his emerald eyes, the fluffy and soft orange fur that covered his body. He saw that black, ruddy nose matching his equally ruddy character. The orange and white hair that the wolf wanted so badly to tousle in his hand. Even though Colin wasn't with him, Rainer could feel his presence everywhere.

Everywhere he looked that's where he saw the boy. When he looked at the table, he saw the book that Colin was so eager to use. When his gaze fell on the trunk that served as a chair, he saw the slim figure of the fox sitting there. Rainer could even smell it, hear its voice, its laughter. When he closed his eyes, he could see his smile. Colin's beautiful, pearly smile. The boy who, even though he hadn't harmed anyone, was going to die later today in perhaps the most brutal way the people of Scandinavia had known.

            As the thought of Colin's ribs being ripped from his body alive crossed Rainer's mind, he screamed and threw the wooden mug of beer straight against the wall of his cave

As the thought of Colin's ribs being ripped from his body alive crossed Rainer's mind, he screamed and threw the wooden mug of beer straight against the wall of his cave. The drink spilled over the stone floor in its flight and the vessel shattered into tiny splinters. Rainer got up from his rush bed as if by fire and began to walk loudly, quickly and nervously in circles around his part of the cave. The man was like under hypnosis. He could not but also did not want to think about anything other than the teenage fox. His heart was pounding like a hammer hitting the base of a heavy anvil with momentum. His muscles all over his body tensed up and his fur grew so furry that if anyone saw him now they might think the wolf had literally grown half a meter.

The man, driven mad, began to look around the room again, trying to think of some way in which he could save Colin. Quickly walking in circles around the cave, he strained his mind while holding his hands against his dark brown wolf head.

"Soon dawn will come and with it the preparations for the ritual will begin. How the hell do we prevent this?" - Thought the man angrily to the point of being angry. - "The easiest way would be to kill that bitch Agape. There won't be a damn druid, then the damn ritual won't take place... yeah. Might as well throw myself on my axe because that witch's death will drive everyone crazy..."

Rainer thought about his axe then looked at the weapon with uncertain eyes. His eyebrows dropped in a grimace of displeasure and frustration and his jaws clenched so much that Rainer began to feel the pain in his own jaw. His yellow eyes could not look at anything but his axe now. The man stared at the object immersed in thought.

"This is crazy. For Odin, it's crazy but what the hell option do I have? I lost Ethelwulf and now I'm supposed to lose Colin? Am I supposed to watch him die?"

- Never. Over my damn dead body.

Said the man to himself, then grabbed his two-handed axe in his hand and started heading for the exit of his part of the cave.