XIX

The road to the cave occupied by the druid Agape turned out to be much longer and tiring than Rainer could have expected. This was due not only to his current state of health but also to the euphoria among the man's friends. When the wolf had barely left his part of the cave and stepped out into the cold, wintry air it was the rebels staying outside who literally rushed towards him. The news that Rainer had finally decided to come out of his cave after those few weeks spread with lightning speed. In a few moments, from just a few people who joyfully greeted their leader, it suddenly became dozens of them. Shouting with happiness, the people embracing and joyfully greeting the wolf began to arrive in such large numbers that eventually the entire, narrow space in the mountain gorge was filled. Everyone wanted to see the man walking on his own. They wanted to rejoice with him in his recovery.

Rainer was quite surprised by this turn of events. It seemed to him that by making unpopular decisions for over a month, these only lowered the general sympathy towards him. It seemed to him that it only earned him resentment about the way he led. So it's safe to say that Rainer felt genuinely touched to see how relieved his people were to see the wolf's improved condition. How happy they were to see Rainer in one piece. Wounded, yes, but alive.

The wolf moved very slowly between the gathered people, exchanging handshakes or brief hugs with them. While doing so, he periodically observed the entrance to the druid's cave. He did not notice Agape standing there and waiting for him. The wolf knew, however, that the doe was well aware that Rainer was coming right for her. He was not worried that the woman might have escaped. Where could she go, after all?

When the man finally reached the entrance of her cave, he turned to face all the still cheering rebels. The man knew that what had just happened in the ravine was unequivocal proof that Rainer still held the strongest position among his allies. It was a kind of smile of fate in his direction, since the wolf was not convinced up to that point whether he could kill Agape. The woman herself, hearing what was happening outside, surely already knew that if Rainer was going to execute her for treason then the people would support him. All that is needed is for the wolf to tell everything that really happened in connection with the "Tri-court", the stabbing of Noa, the carrying out of the double murder and the release of the hostages. These four issues, combined with Rainer's cheerful greeting from his companions, made the man feel confident. Suddenly, in an instant, he could get rid of Agape once and for all. The question, however, was whether Rainer had come up with a better idea?

The man raised his fist in the air, supporting himself with his other hand on a wooden stick. The rebels also made the gesture while shouting joyfully and cheering. With a slight smile on his lips, the wolf finally turned around and slowly led the way straight inside the cave. As soon as he entered it, he immediately smelled the distinctive aroma of herbs burning in the hearth. He saw bundles of dried plants hanging from somewhere, bird bones scattered across the floor, and that makeshift table where the female druid, according to Rainer, fed his people lies and tales that had little to do with reality.

Rainer did not even have to search for a moment with his gaze for the yellow eyes of Agape's stature. For the woman was standing in a corner and leaning with her hand against the base of a makeshift chair. Her back was turned to the man and in her long fingers rested a wooden cup, probably filled with alcohol. As soon as the woman heard the man's approaching footsteps, she slowly and alluringly turned her face toward him.

- I see that my prayers have brought the desired results. - Said the woman giving Rainer a stony face. - I am glad to see you almost at full strength, however... to what do I owe this unexpected visit?

"I think she was trying to kill me in her prayers than to save me." - The man thought, wrinkling his forehead at the time.

- I think Agape that you were perfectly aware that I would eventually come here. - Said the man sluggishly, sitting down carelessly on a chair at the table.