XVII

Rainer woke up much later than usual, which was evident from the sun peeking through the window frame of his bedroom. The bed he slept in was so comfortable that the man would have loved to spend a few more moments in it. Nevertheless, the wolf stretched out his hands and yawned loudly. Then, clad only in his gray sleep pants, he slid out from under the rough blanket and his feet landed directly on the wooden floor. The man rubbed his eyes and with a languid yet cheerful step, he moved forward toward the small room separated from his bedroom by a hanging curtain. When Rainer touched the cloth of the curtain, he immediately smelled the wonderful aroma of spicy herbs. The man stood for a moment in front of that curtain smiling to himself. Perhaps he wondered what explanation he should find for his staying in bed too long. He did not stress himself, however. With a strange contentment he was ready for a possible brawl.

The wolf took a deep breath into his lungs, and as he crossed the curtain separating him from the chamber he was immediately struck by the almost unnaturally strong glare of the sun. For a moment he walked slowly into the room, shielding his yellow eyes. Despite such a strong glare, he was easily able to see the outlines of a person he knew well.

A fox-woman standing by the hearth, surrounded by sizable stones, was just adding something to the depths of the dark broth. Hearing footsteps, the woman immediately tuned her pointed ears and turned her round head toward Rainer. The man immediately noticed her gorgeous smile of red lips, her multicolored flowers woven into her long, ruffled hair, which for Rainer was like the most expensive velvet. Her emerald eyes glowed and sparkled merrily in the sunlight illuminating the small room. Also, a small necklace, with a tiny emerald was now shining on the woman's narrow neck with almost blinding power.

The pair stared at each other in silence for a moment with sincere smiles on their lips. The wolf, unable to restrain himself any longer, immediately approached her from behind and with the greatest of care embraced her around the waist, holding the woman close. He then kissed her tenderly on the cheek, making her blush instantly.

- I'm sorry, Olga. I guess I had some nightmares at night and couldn't sleep. - He spoke to his wife cuddled up to her like a child cuddling up to its mother.

- I know, Rainer. - The woman replied in a soft voice. - I know everything. I saw it. What did you dream about?

- Let's not talk about it. - The man replied without a moment's hesitation, not letting the woman out of his arms. - It is not important.

- Perhaps it would be better for you to talk about it? - The woman asked quietly, at the same time stirring the depths of the dark, aromatic broth with a wooden spoon. - I know that dreams are just dreams to you. But some seem so very real that they can hurt us.

- Nothing hurts me anymore, my love. - Replied the man closing his eyes and enjoying the scent of flowers wafting from the woman. - Everything is fine. - He immediately cut off the topic and started another one. - Please talk to me. Please tell me what good food you are cooking today.

- Stew... only without meat. - The woman replied slowly with a slight smile. - If someone had gotten up earlier and looked at the snares in the forest, the food would probably have been tastier. - She added jokingly.

- It will be perfect. - Said the man, continuing not to let the woman out of his arms. - Ethelwulf didn't look into the snare?

- I sent him to the stream. - The woman replied slowly.

- Why don't we call him? - The man suggested.

- Today is a really hot day. - The vixen remarked. - Let's not disturb his fun.