IX

As soon as Rainer crossed the entrance of the great pit, it was clear to him that he had come to the supper far too early. The makeshift tables at which he had eaten together with his companions stood completely empty and there were only a few people in the room who were just about to start preparations for dinner. So the man began to walk towards the people who were somewhere in the accounts of the great pit. He intended to offer to help them in their preparations, for since he was already here why should he not help? Once he was somewhere in the middle of the great pit, only then did he realize that there was someone else in the pit besides the few people he had noticed.

Although it was clear that the druid Agape would be coming to this supper, Rainer did not expect the woman to decide to come so soon. The mere presence of the doe was nothing alarming to the man, but Agape did something that surprised the wolf greatly. She did, or better put, she did not. A doe used to wear a large, attached antler on her head during official meetings. The dinner that was about to take place was just such an official and important meeting. Therefore, Rainer did not even think about whether Agape would like to wear it on her head. It was obvious to him that the woman would want to mark her status and importance so that no one would doubt that she was the local druid. Apart from the lack of antlers, Agape generally looked rather strange. The doe sat as if on pins, holding a wooden mug filled with root beer in her hand. It seems that this was not the first cup of beer the woman had drunk today. On the table next to her, there was a medium-sized wooden barrel from which Agape probably refilled her drink from time to time. When the interested Rainer approached her, she did not even raise her eyes in his direction. All she did was put the mug to her lips every now and then, soaking her lips in the dark depths of the beer. Her gaze fell only on the pieces of wood burning in the fire, the glow of the flames reflected in the irises of the girl's eyes.

- Without that antler, I almost didn't recognize you Agape. - Rainer greeted when he was close enough to the woman. - Did you lose it somewhere?

Only then did the doe lift her gaze and look from top to bottom at the wolf. She clearly had no desire to speak to him, but she opened her mouth nonetheless.

- Let me Rainer tell you something. - The doe began in a rather harsh tone of voice. - You can laugh at the mission I'm carrying out. I can't forbid you from doing so. But for the gods, show some respect, if not for me, then for my profession.

- So I am not to show respect for you, but for your profession? - A slightly amused Rainer replied, which irritated the woman even more.

- You know what, do what you want. In the end, you'll still have to swallow the consequences of your actions. Unfortunately for me, when the time comes and you wise up, I'm the one who has to advise you. That's my dirty role. - She answered and immediately turned her gaze away from the man.

Agape then began pouring herself a beer and completely ignoring Rainer's presence. The man, however, became too curious about the reason why Agape was in such a foul mood. So he decided to pursue the topic.

- I understand that your role can be a tough one. - He began. - You struggle with people's problems, dilemmas and so on... but I don't think anyone made you do it, did they? If you're mad at someone, you can only be mad at yourself.

- Human affairs are completely uninteresting. - She replied in a very plausible tone of voice, again looking into the flames of the hearth. - The problem is that when the gods send visions showing the consequences of the wrong actions of leaders, it is difficult to pass by calmly.

Rainer didn't have to think about the druid's words for even a moment. He knew perfectly well what Agape was implying. Then Rainer wrapped her arms around his muscular chest and looked at the woman raising one eyebrow.