V

It was late in the evening when almost the entire community of people living in the hideout located in the mountain pass gathered in the large pit. It was a sizeable place, and a considerable number of hearths had to be lit to warm it. At the top of the cavity were conical stalactites which, despite the cave's interior arrangement, did not allow one to forget that this was nevertheless one of the mountain cavities. Numerous simple tables and chairs of questionable strength stood here. On the tables were wooden plates, bowls and other utensils, which were about to be filled with food and drink. The gathered companions at the feast would discuss current affairs and also decide on Colin's fate. This was the issue Rainer was most worried about. He was not sure whether his arguments would convince his companions of his rightness. Rainer knew, however, that he would not let anyone kill the boy. However, the task might prove to be very difficult, for literally minutes before the meeting began, other guests arrived at the Vikings' hideout. They were Jarl Olaf and Jarl Thea. Rainer did not have time to talk to them or even tell them what had happened. Both man and woman would hear everything in a moment.

Rainer did not usually sit at the table located at the furthest point from the cave exit. He preferred to walk between the tables and talk with his friends. He ate with them, drank with them, and enjoyed himself. However, since Jarl Olaf and Jarl Thea had arrived at their hideout, Rainer had to give them most of his attention. They were not frequent visitors, but they remained very important to Rainer. After all, they were his allies in the uprising against Jarl Magnar and his henchmen.

Rainer, Thea and Olaf sat right next to each other deep in the cave. The place had a near perfect view of all Rainer's comrades that had arrived. He knew that the two jarls were to be respected and since the wolf was considered the symbol of the entire rebellion, he had to take it upon himself to talk to these people now. Rainer preferred meeting with the other jarls allied to him in their homes for one more reason. Every time someone important came to the hideout, there was one more person at the table with Rainer. This was, of course, the druid Agape, who, because of her religious rank, deserved a seat next to the distinguished guests. Although the woman had no real power, she was able to exert a great deal of influence over all the meetings. This was, of course, due to her supposed ability to listen to the words of the gods and cast powerful spells, which however, no one ever saw. Rainer sometimes deeply regretted that there had never been a seer among his people. If any humble, introverted, and uninterested in human affairs seer had been at his side from the beginning, the druids would have had no reason to send a doe Agape to the wolf. It would have made no sense, for the seer could just as well have passed on words and wisdom from the gods as the druid.

When all were gathered in the great pit, Rainer began by toasting the warriors who had fallen during the battle with Jarl Otto's men and Magnar's soldiers. As the few warriors had died with weapons in their hands, it was clear to everyone that they had gone straight to Valhalla. The families of the fallen could have been proud of their men, for they must have sat beside Odin and Thor to feast with some of the finest warriors Scandinavia has ever seen. Death on the battlefield was noble and guaranteed the fallen the highest honor of meeting their forefather Odin. If any Viking had to look death in the eye, it was on the battlefield that it was most profitable. Everyone knew this.

Rainer lifted the wooden goblet and shouted the word "skål" to everyone gathered. Then everyone drew alcohol from their wooden vessels. In this way, the whole community paid tribute to the fallen friends.

Wolf then introduced his companions Jarl Thea and Jarl Olaf. Everyone knew them, but for official reasons it was necessary to welcome the newcomers with another toast anyway.

- Before we start the feast, let's discuss current affairs... - Rainer began in a low tone of voice.

The man knew very well that everything would start with the question of the currently sleeping Colin. Rainer hoped that if the boy woke up he would listen to him and not leave his cave. He would feel more secure if he could be with him now. He would be calmer if he could finish his conversation with him, but Rainer did not want to wake the boy, who was exhausted from his difficult journey. Even when the fox was asleep, the wolf still preferred to spend time with him. The mere fact that he could look at his fluffy, orange and soft fur was enough for him. He couldn't get rid of thinking about the boy even now. The sight of his beautiful emerald eyes never left his head. On the other hand, Rainer did not feel like thinking about anything else. This made the situation he was in even more complicated.