Soldier boy

NEW YORK

The quinjet landed on the helipad as Nick Fury was already waiting for their arrival, the team started making their way out half disappointed, this gesture obviously did not go unnoticed by Fury who was greeted by Steve and their new guest,

"ohoo, Nick Fury himself, for what do I own this pleasure?"

"we have a lot to talk, soldier"

Right after, Tony and Banner got out with the teenager lying on a stretcher still asleep, they walked past them straight to their lab in a rush, the trio was staring at the scene with worry, Fury always stayed in his serious stoic demeanor because of his position as a leader but he wasn't heartless, he always cared for his comrade's wellbeing.

Coulson was the last one to come out and he made his way to Nick Fury without wasting any second,

"boss, there's something you need to see."

.

"her heart beats and vitals are normal, everything seems to function properly, except her body temperature, it's very high...." Banner said checking the medical reports, "....maybe after that...big stunt, her body took a toll."

"are you sure we didn't miss anything else?"

"yes, we checked everything we could, Tony. There's nothing odd about her."

"there's something we can't see."

"we did everything we could from our side, we can only wait till she starts talking and explain it to us."

Tony signed defeated, he hated when he couldn't control situations like these, but at least she was with him at the others, safe and secured, that was one big problem they got under control.

.

Coulson was holding a tablet while the screen was showing the view of the HYDRA facility being demolished from afar, Fury had his eyes stuck on the screen in disbelief,

"is this real?"

"you doubt me? half of them barely survived."

Fury glanced at his agent before inhaling sharply, "is she aware?"

"yes." Coulson answered shortly.

"how much data did we get?" Fury said as he started walking,

"nothing."

Fury paused and turned to Coulson with a questioning look,

"they cleared all of their data before we could get our hands on it."

"then what do we have?"

"a soldier boy."

.

Michael was sitting in the interrogation room with his hands cuffed to the table while he had a bored look on his face, this was not in his list, just how long were they going to make him wait?

He got his answer when he heard the door opened and saw Nick Fury enter with a poker face as always.

"director, it must be my lucky day to meet you twice a day." Michael smirked with amusement.

"you do realize you are walking on egg shells here?"

"the floor looks clean to me?" he answered after checking under his feet pretending to look for literal eggs.

"be serious, soldier. You happened to be on everyone's bad side at the moment. "

"really? What gave away?"

"I'll ask once, do you work for HYDRA?" Fury asked with a more serious tone.

"you already know answer to that question so why ask?"

"alright then, tell me. why did you let yourself get captured?"

"I didn't, i was planning on running away far from here." Michael answered.

"Stark says otherwise."

"that was part of my plan, let that kid reunite with avengers before escaping but that....accident ruined it and I didn't have time nor a way to escape."

"why?"

"i'm only one of the bad guys, not a monster." Michael answered, that was the most serious he has been infront of Fury so far.

"then why work with the bad guys?"

"sorry if it was so inconvenient to you but I had to make sure I didn't die of hunger on the streets, I saw a way to feed myself so I did." He said looking down at the table.

"was this the only way?"

"the only one I could find."

Nick Fury kept thinking about his answers for few seconds before letting him continue,

"never went to school, no one would hire me, fighting was the only thing I ever knew, so I made use of it, they found me in my desperate time and said I could get shelter and food everyday and no risk of getting behind bars so I joined...they said they help this world to become a better place, but whatever I saw said the opposite so I knew I made a mistake, thought if I'll help that kid I'd redeem myself and start a new life all over again.....but you guys had to step in."

Fury was listening to all this with patience, he had seen many people like him, some didn't care what they did in past but some sought for redemption, Natasha Romanoff being one of them, he believed people can change if they truly want, he knew what to do with him that could help both him and them,

"it's still not all gone, I have an offer. Join our side, become our double agent and we'll clear your records."

"of who? I keep doing your dirty work my whole life, joining SHIELD is just going back to HYDRA."

"not SHIELD, mine. In this new time I lack trusted soldiers."

"thought I was the last person you trusted."

"I don't at the moment, but we can start a new leaf. You get to prove yourself, What do you say about the offer?" Fury asked

"how about a counter offer?"

Fury's eyebrows knit together in confusion and waited for him to continue,

"you let me go right now, and I give you something valuable."

"and that would be?"

"Strucker's data on human enhancing, everything he got from experimenting on that kid."

"all the data w-"

"cleared? I know, but that's all I got my hands on before they deleted it. I don't like politics, all I want is to stay alive and live a life, I won't get that living like this."

Fury signed before getting up,

"well then, I'll come back with an answer later." He said before leaving the room and joined Natasha, Steve, Clint and Thor next door, who were watching this conversation this whole time through one sided mirror,

"so what do we do?" Natasha asked.

"I do not understand if he has the data we need why don't we just take it from him?" Thor asked.

"we have to follow some codes, in terms of negotiation both sides have to accept each other's conditions and make a fair deal. We can't break the codes." Fury told him.

"being the good guys comes with a price." Clint added.

"how do we know he's not lying?"

"no he's not, his tone seemed real, I met a lot of people with same intentions, if he was lying I would have known by now." Fury said.

"besides he's just one of HYDRA's minions, he's not much of use if he won't work as our agent." Steve added.

"so it's decided then."

Michael was waiting inside the room and tapping his fingers on the metal table wondering if his offer will be accepted or not, there were 50-50 percent chances of his success according to him. he didn't have to wait much longer because Nick Fury soon came back,

"soldier, we have a deal."