21

"No way, she really did that?"

"You'd be surprised."

The sound of laughter from the kitchen greets you as you emerge from your bedroom, hair tucked in a bun and a sweatshirt loosely draped over your cotton leggings. It's not something you'd wear around your boss, but given the progress you've made in less than a week, it's safe to say you and Namjoon have a little more than an employee-boss relationship.

Or so you thought.

Once you see the sight in front of you, Sooya and Namjoon face each other with their backs to you. Sooya is casually resting her elbows on the kitchen counter, laughing and giggling at what Namjoon was saying. They appeared to be more acquainted than they had been at the family dinner the night before. They couldn't talk as much because everyone was talking over each other, but it seemed like they were getting to know each other better now.

You don't know what has Namjoon smiling so wide, because the last time you remembered, Sooya isn't the best at telling jokes. At least not with her mom jokes.

Yaji and Inso are nowhere to be found, so you can only assume Sooya has put them to bed in the other guest room. It was getting darker outside, as seen through your glass windows, which overlooked the unimpressive view of the small apartment building across the street. The faint sound coming from the television, displaying some random news channel, drowns out your footsteps as you near them.

Clearing your throat, Sooya is the first one to snap her head with a jolt. It was as if she had been caught doing something she shouldn't have been doing, which was not the case, so you were skeptical of her sudden shock. It was difficult to understand her; one minute she was pushing you toward him, and the next she was completely contradicting herself.

"Hey, sis. Took you long enough," she mumbles looking everywhere but you, before scurrying off into the dining room.

You follow her movements, completely ignoring Namjoon's stare.

"Had to make myself look decent," you say, walking around the island and grabbing a glass of water from the fridge. "What were you guys talking about?" You ask, lowering your tone.

Namjoon opens his mouth to answer, but Sooya cuts him off. "Come, let's have dinner together. Namjoon brought some food," she informs you, and instantly, your eyes land on the said man. His gaze never leaves you as he perches himself off the counter and makes his way to you.

"I'm starving," Sooya grumbles. "He refused to eat without you."

Smiling, Namjoon leans down to your level, and though you weren't that short, he still made sure you were eye-to-eye. You bite back a grin, returning his hooded gaze. "You brought food?"

He hums, "I promised I would after work." You notice his eyes moving lower and lower and then stopping on your rosy lips. It's not lipstick or tint, he thinks. You've always pressed down on it with your teeth when you were deep in thought about something.

And the whole time you were away and busying yourself in the walls of your room, the thought of Namjoon slowly filled your mind.

"You came straight from work?" your forehead creases, wondering if he rushed to get here when you'd prefer for him to get more rest.

"No, I went home, showered, and got food from that place you like."

He's talking about Cabane. Immediately, your face scrunches at the thought of that place, and that rude waitress. It wasn't your favorite place in the world, but it's where you and Namjoon mostly went to dine. He liked it, and so you did eventually.

Noticing your reaction, he asks, "You don't like it?"

"Oh, no. It's fine," you say. "The food is great, but the service could be better."