Do more.

The day the final bit of grout was slathered into place in our new home we weren't even there to see it. We planned to be the ones doing it but mother nature had different plans. Shan and I were in California helping with wild fires. Or rather the aftermath of said fires. We flew out to help sift threw what was left of the devastation. 

By now I have seen every thing that mother nature has to throw at the humans that inhabit her planet. Make no mistake Earth belongs to Mother Nature. She gives and she takes. What I see in my job is the takes ninety nine percent of the time. This time is no exception. 

We travel up roads and are stopped often to chat with anyone we saw. The line of the fire took amazed me. Its like someone drew with a pencil of where it would burn and where it would spare. How one side of a tree is gone and the other side green and thriving. How one side of a home is gone and the other perfect. 

Neighbors helping neighbors, strangers becoming friends. Family is not just blood. Cars are nothing more then melted metal and rubber eary skeletons of what once was. Piles of melted and burned items are scattered throughout the land  We helped when we could. Some people just needed the time to decompress and to process what they have found or didn't find. 

The work is hard, hot and long and dirty. Ash is everywhere but being a part of something bigger then us is what we live for besides each other. I get invited to take a helicopter ride to see it all and I am amazed. The fire is not all the way out but its ninety percent contained. The line the fire took and how the colors seemed to blend from yellow to orange to red. How some embers were one color and others were another. How with a gust of wind the direction could change instantly. How on one side of the road nothing but brush and green and the other black and charred. What was left of trees that stood just waiting for rain to wash it all away and start to rebuild.

I was taken to shelter or rehab for wild animals that were caught in fire and either injured or have no place to go. I got to see a bear that was nicknamed Bee who had two cubs with her but sadly one didnt make it. She had her paws burned and some burns on her legs. Her cub had similar issues. There eyes were red from the smoke. I got to help feed an orphan bobcat a bottle and I fell in love. Something new I wanted to learn was how to triage animals and to see if we have any veternarians in our mist that could help or vet techs even. I seen snakes, and birds and even a few fish. The smallest critter was a hummingbird who was no bigger then a child's palm and the largest was an elk. There were of course the domestic ones too. Cats, dogs, horses, pigs and goats. Cows and even an emu and a lama. 

I never realized the four legged or two legged animals need the help too. I have always focused on humans but seeing the treatment needed for those that are further away Dna wise made me think hard about what more can be done. What more can I offer? How can we make sure that every breathing or swimming creature has a place to call home even if it were temporary has one.

That night in the motel as Shannon and I laid in bed I told her about my day. Showed her pictures of what I seen and how I wanted to be able to do more. She just laughed at me then told me that I always am like that. That I always want to do more, to help in new ways. To be better and thats one of the things she admired about me. I asked her what else and she ran her hand from my knee to my neck applying just a little bit of pressure. She said nothing but showed me. I like her idea.