the gentle art of idol wrangling (mark & jingyeom)

Mark was woken by raised voices.

It took him a moment to orient himself - he was on a couch in the corner of a dressing room, where they were waiting to start makeup for their next showcase. He had headed for the couch immediately when they were deposited in the waiting room by their manager, firmly intent on spending every possible minute of the five hours they had free sleeping.

He didn't need a moment, of course, to identify the voices which had so rudely awoken him from said sleep.

"I told you to sit down ." That was Jaebeom, who usually was meticulous in maintaining the line between stern-but-kind and overbearingly strict. With a week or so of next to no sleep under his belt, however, he had stomped straight over the line into authoritarian asshole.

"But, hyuuuuung, I don't wanna! I'm busy!" That was Bambam, who, in his turn, usually did his best to maintain the line between youthful exuberance and straight-up being a little brat. Forced insomnia, caused by an absolutely hectic comeback schedule, had the unfortunate effect of making him waltz straight past brat into whiny nuisance territory.

Mark blinked tiredly, hoisting himself up onto his elbows to see just how bad the situation really was. It was never good if Bambam and Jaebeom were left to deal with each other when they were like this.

To his surprise, he saw that he was apparently the only person who had done the logical thing and had gone to sleep. Jaebeom, Jinyoung, Youngjae and Yugyeom were all seated at the large square of make-up tables their stylists had set up in the middle of the room. Jinyoung and Jaebeom had books, Yugyeom was chugging what appeared to be coffee (who in the hell had given the kid coffee??), while Youngjae just sat and stared off into the distance. Mark vaguely remembered him not looking well earlier in the day, and he wondered if the younger boy was starting with one of his infamous headaches. Bambam was rooting around in the cases with accessories at the end of the table, already having helped himself to a ring on practically each finger. Jackson leaned against the wall, close to him, watching him with what Mark had secretly termed his worried puppy look.

Bambam grabbed a necklace from one of the cases and skipped over to one of the mirrors, holding it up next to his face.

"What do you think, Jackson-hyung? Nice? To much bling?"

"Are you seriously not listening to me?" Jaebeom said lowly, from his end of the table.

Bambam shot him a grin and opened the necklace's clasp, fitting it around his neck. "I'm listening, Jaebeomie-hyung, I hear every word you're saying. I'll sit down in a minute, okay?"

Mark sat up with another sigh, trying in vain to convince his legs to swing over the side of the couch. Some intervention was urgently needed and it seemed that Jinyoung, who was usually the one to step in when tensions flared like this, wasn't up to doing his job tonight. He had his nose firmly buried in his book, not even glancing up at Jaebeom and Bambam.

While Mark was still disentangling himself from his puffer jacket, which he had wrapped around himself, he saw Youngjae glance from Jaebeom to Bambam and back. Then he moved closer to Jaebeom, just a little, dropping his head down on his folded arms. He turned his head to look up at Jaebeom, saying something. It was so quiet that Mark couldn't hear it. He could, however, see the immediate effect it had on their leader.

Jaebeom glanced sharply at Youngjae, bringing a hand up to feel his forehead. He kept it there for a moment, and then moved it to the side of Youngjae's head, gently massaging his temple. Youngjae leaned into the touch, his eyes slipping shut. Jaebeom leaned down to ask him something, to which Youngjae nodded.