tol vs smol (1/2)

That evening after dance practice, Bambam sat on Jinyoung's lap again.

It was one of the rare evenings that they got home while it could still in fairness be called 'evening' and not 'the small hours of the morning'. It was fairly certain that JYP would announce them as their newest group within the next few months, and their schedules were all packed to an almost inhuman extent. It was the first night that week – maybe that month, Yugyeom couldn't quite remember – that they had left the company building before midnight.

Yugyeom, toeing off his shoes, wanted nothing more than to just faceplant on his bed and sleep, shower and food be damned. But there was, of course, no getting past Jaebeom.

"Youngjae-yah, you shower first, you're quickest. Then Yugyeom, Bamie, Jinyoung, Jackson, Mark."

"It's Jackson and Mark-hyung's turn to cook," Jinyoung added, shrugging out of his coat. "There's ramyeon and some leftovers from yesterday's soup. But you didn't put yourself on the bathroom list, Jaebeomie-hyung. Won't you start to smell?"

He dodged Jaebeom's hand with a neat, economic movement that also placed him in just the right spot to grab Bambam around the waist and drag the smaller boy down with him onto the couch. Jinyoung tended to do most things neatly and economically, Yugyeom had noticed.

Jaebeom let him go, obviously not actually having intended for his finger flick to hit its target. "Yah, why are we still standing here? Let's get moving. My bed is calling me."

While Youngjae rushed off to the bathroom and Mark and Jackson headed to the kitchen to start on their assigned task, Yugyeom pretended to look for a charger while actually keeping an eye on the two on the couch. Bambam was curled into Jinyoung's chest, giggling tiredly as Jinyoung jostled him around.

It looked...well, it looked very nice.

Yugyeom managed to suppress the sudden urge to dropkick his fellow '97 liner into another dimension. It was difficult, since doing it would be so damn easy. Bambam was tiny. About the size of a full-grown hamster, as Jackson once put it (also while cuddling the shit out of Bambam, of course, while Yugyeom sat like the world's largest 15-year-old at the opposite end of the table. Of course he wasn't actually the world's largest 15-year-old but it felt like that. Often.) Bambam even had the bright eyes and the squeaky voice and toothy smile to match the whole hamster vibe. Cute. Maknae material, if there ever was such a thing. He was ideally suited for sitting on the laps of doting hyungs. Also ideally suited for dropkicking into other dimensions, but Yugyeom tried not to dwell on that.

No doubt he'd be the one to get kicked out if he as much as breathed at the kid wrong.

And there he was again. Thinking of Bambam as "the kid". Despite the fact that Bambam was actually older than him by a good six months. Older. If the both of them had been born a few months earlier, he'd have had to call Bambam 'hyung'. That much bloody older. Jackson and Jaebeom didn't even differ two months in age, but nobody was tempted to think that Jaebeom was the younger one.

It was, of course, all the fault of Yugyeom's freakishly long legs. His freakishly large body. His freakishly mature face. The fact that he was just not maknae material. Especially not when compared to someone of Bambam's calibre.

"Are you looking for something, Gyeom-ah?" Jaebeom asked. He was leaning in the kitchen doorway, typing something on his phone.

Yugyeom lifted his own phone. "I thought I'd left my charger here, hyung. But it must be in the room."

"Ah, okay."

"I'll, uh, go see if it's there," Yugyeom said awkwardly. He slunk off into the corridor, but Jaebeom called after him.