"I may have asked you to leave before, but I do not wish for your death. Support him from here, behind the safety of the sanctum's walls."

"You should have already learned that you cannot force me to do as you please, Queen Mother. Once again, I refuse."

She watched him carefully, suddenly struck by the small details she had failed to notice before. He was unwavering and relentless to a fault. But his dark violet eyes captured her, and she marveled at how a young face could have such ancient-looking eyes. Oliver was an old soul with wisdom that rivaled hers.

More prevalent was his overwhelming devotion to Draco, willing to tear apart his body, limb by limb, to stay by his side. He cared little about enduring the wrath of a kingdom or facing a mad dragon. He only cared for Draco.

She felt her heartache. She grabbed Oliver's hands and pulled him close. "Never have I been proven so wrong so quickly." Her words were so quiet that only the two of them could hear. "I will trust you, Oliver. I leave the fate of my son in your hands."

"Unhand her!" A terrible yell from Elder Minos broke them apart.  Oliver pushed Draco's mother out of harm's way and avoided the blow.

"You will be detained. Guards!" He called out, and a slew of men surrounded Oliver with spears aimed at him.

Oliver rounded on the soldiers with a snarl. "To hell with that. Not only do you lack the skills to kill me, but you also lack the courage. Stand aside."

Minos yelled and charged with his spear. Draco's mother called out to stop him, but he ignored her.

Oliver sneered and spun to evade the spear. He shot out and grasped Minos' neck with a hand. Minos tried to cry out, but Oliver's grip blocked his words. He dropped his spear and clawed at Oliver's hand.

"Unlock the door." He commanded in a cold and steely voice. The men unconsciously shivered when they heard him.

Another man walked through the group of guards, and Oliver recognized him as the old Rucrean General, Aris.

"It is the King's order to keep this door shut," Aris said as he lowered his spear to aim at Oliver.

Oliver laughed coldly. "I love your King, General, but you will disobey him today."

"I cannot allow this," Aris said, and his killing intent seeped out.

Oliver threw Minos away, leaving him sputtering and choking to the side.

"Take the Queen Mother out of here," Oliver commanded.

She wanted to protest, but the guards did not want to lose this chance to protect her from the crazed Kardos man. They quickly pulled her out of the tunnels while Oliver watched her departure.

Oliver waited until he no longer felt her energy in the tunnels. He turned towards Airs and his gaze twisted into a glower. His lips curled into a dark smile, and he released his killing intent. Thirty years of war and slaughter followed him like a shadow, and he never revealed it to this extent until this moment.

Most of the guards collapsed, and the others backed away with terror. Aris felt the spear in his hands tremble.

"Who has the key?" Oliver asked.

"I do," Aris said.

Oliver scoffed. "Who is your subordinate?"

Aris' eyes fell on a familiar man. He recognized him as the advisor who always stood by Draco's side.

"Future General," Oliver called out to the man. "Once I kill Aris, you will be taking his title. When you do, you will open that goddamn door."

"You think you can kill me?" Aris goaded.