Chapter Fifteen | Missing Piece

Author's Note: 

hii all- super short chapter- but hope you enjoy it anyways!

Emma's P.O.V: 

"Emma," the voice breathed, now a little more certain.

"Who is this?" I said sternly, tired of the unwanted anticipation. 

"Emma, it's me, your... mother," the voice wavered at this word. The word came out of her voice, it felt so unfamiliar and... unnatural.

"Mum?" The word feels weird spoken. "Why are you calling?" I blink, in terror.

My mum sighed lightly on the other end. "Never mind that. How are you?" 

"I'm fine," I say, still confused and dazed from what's going on. I didn't feel like telling the truth, not to to my mum anyways. 

I can almost imagine her smiling sadly. 

"Okay. How's school?" she asked. 

"I don't know-" I answered a little irritated. "Fine?" 

I could tell my mum felt awkward. I don't blame her. It's been ages since we've talked. 

"Emma," she sighed, "I know it's been so long, and I feel bad for-" she paused. 

She took a deep breath and spoke, "I feel bad for abandoning you and your father and I regret that decision. Very much." 

"I really thought that I could give myself a chance to be an actress. I worked so hard and I hoped that one day, when I was successful I'd come back to you," she continued. "But-" she stopped wearily. "Obviously, things don't go to plan sometimes." 

"Emma, I just wanted to call you and ask for you to forgive me. I want to be a part of your life, I really do. I was just so young when I had you and I was confused and- oh Emma," she cried, sobbing at the other end. 

I blinked, confused and startled. 

"Mum-" I started. "It's been so long."

I hear her give a little sniff. 

"And I've forgotten how it feels like to have a mother. It's always been dad and I." 

"I know, Emma, but-"

"No, Mum, please. I-" I close my eyes tightly and took a breath. "I just can't let you in my life so quickly and suddenly. Especially after all these years of you not being here. It just doesn't work like that." 

I hang up before I realise and can't help but stare dumbfoundedly at the vinyl flooring. Tears well up in my eyes and I feel extremely nauseous.

"I-"