Chapter Five | Forgive and Forget

A/N:

Chapter Five is here! Once again, our updating is very irregular, but we hope you enjoy reading this chapter 🍓 xx, strawberriextrio

 ૮꒰˶• ༝ •˶꒱ა ~♡︎ 

Emma's POV:

I stay awake all night thinking. Thinking about Edward, mostly. And a bit of August. 

I think back to the dream the other night and mentally cringe. I don't know what's worse. I groan and bury my face in my pillow. 

My mind wanders to August now. I like him- as a friend. He's sweet. Caring. Nice. He's all that a person could want. Better than Edward? My subconscious asks. Maybe. But yet I could be wrong. Maybe Edward just didn't read the note. 

A lot of 'maybes' storm through my head. I try not to think about it. But it keeps coming back to me- breaking down the walls I've made around myself. 

I turn over, facing the wall, not able to sleep. 

Maybe Edward isn't right for you, my subconscious say. 

I frown at what may be true. My stomach lurches at the thought. 

I shouldn't be so naïve, listening to a voice in my head. 

Yeah, I'm just being dumb. Follow your heart, they say. I frown, my forehead creasing. I don't even know what my heart wants. 

Edward? 

I cringe inwardly. I sound clingy. 

My mind drifts away suddenly, and it lands on August. 

August Downing. Sweet and charismatic. I smile, imagining his grin. 

And suddenly I doze off, still thinking of the boy. 

 Kathy's POV:

I know the face she has on. 

There's like an argument inside her head. She doesn't know which one to side. I imagine it's about Edward. I know something went wrong. I can just tell. Emma's acting weirdly. And Edward was sulking all day yesterday. I, unlike them, am not unobservant. 

I want them to be happy. If not together, then- respectively. But I know Emma. She's always in denial. She'll believe she's still in love with Edward. Even if she's not. 

I sneak a look at Emma, her eyes are looking at no where in particular. Still thinking, I assume. 

I sigh lightly, under my breath. 

Again, like many times before, I ignore it and kept moving on. 

Edward's POV: 

"You alright?" 

I snap out of my trance. "Yeah." 

I can tell he's not convinced. August, being attentive as usual. 

"You look sick," he says at me, his green eyes dazed with confusion and concern. 

"Thanks," I manage to say. 

I hear him sigh, but he manages to recollect himself. 

"So you're good?" 

"Peachy," I reply nonchalantly. 

I see his eye roll, but he gives a nod nonetheless. 

"Alright then. I'll be getting to class. See you after?" 

"Maybe." 

He sighs yet again. 

Emma's POV: 

Edward was looking at me. Staring.  

I tug on Kathy's arm. 

"Kathy!" I say in a harsh whisper. "You're brother. He's staring at me." 

"Isn't that what you always wanted?" she says bluntly. I can see her mouth curving into a smile. 

I hit her. 

"Kathy!" 

"What do you want me to do?" 

"Tell him to stop!" 

She rolls her eyes. 

"Just ignore it." 

I groan at Kathy's words. She can be so unhelpful at times. 

I sneak a peek at Edward. Our eyes meet for a second, his lingering on mine for a few more seconds. I turn away hastily. 

"Let's get out of here," I whisper, quickening my pace. 

Kathy snickers behind me, but follows anyway. 

"Looks like he wants to talk to you!" she says, behind me. 

My eyes widen in pure terror. I watch him walk towards us. 

"My cue to leave. Tell me what happens!" Kathy says, slipping out of my grasp. 

"I hate you," I mouth to her. 

"I love you too!" 

I curse under my breath. This was not how I planned my day to go. 

I brace myself for the worst outcomes. 

"Hey Emma," he says with a timid smile. 

Very unusual of him. 

I nod in reply. 

"Look, I just want to say I'm sorry, I didn't know it was you-" 

"So if it wasn't me, you'd still leave the girl waiting?" I blurt out. 

His cheeks redden. 

"No, no, not at all- look, I just wanted to say I'm very sorry. Very sorry-" he adds, looking at my raised eyebrows. 

"Forgive and forget?" he adds, hastily, looking at me square in the eye. 

"Yeah. Yeah, okay." 

He smiles his usual cocky grin. 

"Great!" 

And with that, he turns to leave. 

Kathy's POV: 

"Did you guys confess your undying love for each other?"  

Emma glares at me. 

"I just forgave him, that's all." 

"For leaving you out in the rain and not showing up?" 

She thinks for a moment, and shrugs. 

"Yeah, I guess so." 

I shake my head at the dubious girl in front of me. 

"You know, Emma, look around. There are plenty of other boys. Not just Edward." 

"I know, Kathy. But maybe I'll stick with Edward?" she states, leaving her statement as more of a question. 

I laugh. "Yeah. Okay. Stick with Edward." 

She rolls her eyes, but I could see her face with doubt strewn across it. 

August's POV:

"I know, Kathy. But maybe I'll stick with Edward." 

It's Emma. My insides goes jelly and it feels uncomfortable. 

I decide to go. It wasn't the right time. 

Part of me forces a small smile on my face- I should at least be happy for her. The other half is squirming inside, nauseating me. 

I should feel happy for Edward too. He's always said they'd end up together eventually. I guess he was right. 

My stomach becomes an empty pit of darkness, swelling my whole body with an immense feeling of misery. 

 I shut my eyes apprehensively- not that it helps- and tug on my collar, suddenly feeling hot. 

I ignore the pounding of my head- the thoughts that race in my head are making me dizzy- and sulkily walk down the corridor, my earlier ego not so visible anymore.