Chapter Eight | Library...A Date?

Emma's POV:

"Confident you'll be alright? All alone? With a boy?" 

"Yes I'll be fine," I try to convince her- and myself. 

"Honestly, first few weeks and you've already got yourself a date," Kathy says smugly. 

"Not a date, Kath. Just the library." 

"Haven't you read any novels? It's what they all say, then it ends up becoming an actual date and stuff," she explains, her hands moving as she speaks. 

"You read too much, Kath," I say. 

She shrugs. 

"Also, if it gets real awkward, text me, 'kay?" she says sincerely. 

"Promise. I just really hope it turns out okay," I say truthfully. I struggle not to think about all the worse case scenarios. 

"Alright. See you tomorrow then?" 

"Yup," I say, wishing she'd stay just a bit longer. 

I took a deep breath apprehensively- and unnecessarily. 

'Everything's gonna be fine,' I try to reassure myself. 

Safe to say, it doesn't work. 

I walk in the library. It's quiet- as it should be- and it feels just a bit cold. Lots of people are shuffling around, pulling books out and putting them back in. There was the occasional cough and lots of quiet whispers. 

I ran my fingers along the spine of a book, trying to look interested. 

August isn't here yet. 

I check my wrist instinctively, but there isn't a watch. I curse under my breath. I had left it at home. 

I check the library clock- which Edward said was always 7 minutes early. I'm a bit early. Mr. Davidson likes to let us out early, I reassure myself. He'll be here any minute. 

I wait. 

And wait. 

August's POV:

I'm late. 

I want to blame Mrs. Grey- I swear she has a hobby of letting us out late- but I really couldn't blame her. 

I ran to the library, praying that Emma hadn't left. I wouldn't be surprise if she did. 

I reach the library, panting. 

"Emma," I say. 

"You okay?"

I realise I'm clutching my stomach. 

"Yup, I'm fine. Just need to take a breath. Ran here." 

"It's fine. Wanna sit?" she asks, gesturing over to the tucked in reading area. 

"Yeah, sure." 

We walk almost awkwardly there. 

I sit opposite her. 

I try to make conversation. 

"How's your day so far?" 

"So far? Okay," she replied shortly. "Yours?" 

"Bit boring," I reply. 

No one speaks for a bit. 

My head desperately seeks for conversation starters. 

"Want to grab a book? To read?" she says. 

"Oh yeah, sure." 

We stroll over to the shelves of books. There's so many of them. Shelves among shelves full of books. I pull out a book from a shelve. I read the blurb.